Pillar Bed an X Bolt

Schwarz06

FNG
I've got an X Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. I've done a significant amount of load development and just cant seem to lock down on consistency. It will shoot a half MOA group and then turn around and shoot a 2 MOA group usually stringing vertically. To me its acting like the stock is flexing under recoil. I've had the same issue on an older A Bolt in 270 and pillar bedding fixed the issue. Has anyone ever pillar bedded an X Bolt successfully and if so what did you do for the rear pillar? there just doesn't look to be much meat for that rear screw.

nyseguy

FNG
I would like to pillar bed my X-bolt also. Did you find an answer on pillar bedding the X-bolt or found a light strong after market stock ? I have two Bell and Carlson stocks, one on a Tikka T3x stainless and another on a Winchester Model 70 stainless. The B&C Aluminum recoil lug and receiver face to face contact is excellent. Just not available for the Browning X-Bolt. Let me know if you find a light weight solution.

nyseguy

FNG
I've got an X Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. I've done a significant amount of load development and just cant seem to lock down on consistency. It will shoot a half MOA group and then turn around and shoot a 2 MOA group usually stringing vertically. To me its acting like the stock is flexing under recoil. I've had the same issue on an older A Bolt in 270 and pillar bedding fixed the issue. Has anyone ever pillar bedded an X Bolt successfully and if so what did you do for the rear pillar? there just doesn't look to be much meat for that rear screw.
McMillian manufactures Fiberglass/Carbon stocks for the newer Browning X-bolt. The pillars are thin walled aluminum pillars. The rear pillar is cut vertically to make room for trigger. I have 4 of these, torqued barreled actions into each with 35 to 40 inch pounds on the front and rear screws. Two of the four cracked. at the back pillar. Advised McMillian, they told me to ship cracked stocks back to their facility in Phoenix; they replaced the two cracked stocks, Was very happy about this. I learned you have to be careful with these McMillian X-bolt stocks as the fiberglass/carbon material is higher than the top of the aluminum pillars. So I learned to take the material around the pillars down with sand paper and Dremel so I get metal to metal contact top and bottom, before torqueing barreled actions into stock. That way, the cracks at the rear pillar are avoided. Great stock design, but poor execution at the McMillian Factory around the pillars. Please be advised Mr. McMillian sold the company about 18 months back and has recently passed away. I will glass bed all four of my McMillan X-bolt stocks to make sure I get no movement and to add some strength to the stock structure. Great stocks, just believe they need bedding work by owner if purchased. Knowing this, I would buy other McMillian stocks. Good Luck!!