Pillar job on MESA Altitude stock off, what should I do?

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kinda pissed I spent $700 on a stock that doesn't let the action screw work without some finagling. Should this be expected with "custom gun work"?

The pilar isn't in the middle of that notch.
1640979463412.png

you can't even see the bottom of the action threads.
1640979422219.png

I spoke with MESA Precision. I have 3 options.
  1. Return the stock for a refund
  2. Send the stock back and they will hog out the pillar so it's not interfering with the action screw
  3. I can hog out the pillar so its not interfering with the action screw.

They said its a CNC program that drills the holes for the pillars and they test them afterwards, .I'll check the program, maybe its off, but we check them before they leave". That's great, but that doesn't make my issue "right".

I'm annoyed, the 4th option should have been, Send it back, we'll hog it out and sell it to somebody else at a discount and send you a new one that's done properly.

What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited:
OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Did you request 4th option? That would seem reasonable to me...
I did!
"Well i'll be frank with you, i think its rediculous you're just hogging out the pillar and sending it back to me. I paid $700 for a new stock, not a new stock that's fixed. Why don't you send me back a brand new stock done correctly?" is what I said.

They said, we can refund you your purchase if you want or fix it.

Lawnboi

WKR
You happy with the McMillan? That was my 2nd choice.
I’m happy with both my mcmillan stocks. Another hunting buddy it also happy with his. Iv got another manners coming as well, an eh1 with the tikka mini chassis. So you have options.

When this happened to me I bought a krg bravo for the mean time while I waited for the mcmillan.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I’m happy with both my mcmillan stocks. Another hunting buddy it also happy with his. Iv got another manners coming as well, an eh1 with the tikka mini chassis. So you have options.

When this happened to me I bought a krg bravo for the mean time while I waited for the mcmillan.
Which style mcmillans do you have?

Lawnboi

WKR
Can you elaborate on that, so I don't buy a similarly poor ergonomic stock?
The drop at the heel causes the recoil of the rifle to be less controlled than something like an eh1, game scout or game warden. It’s immediately noticeable shooting a Mesa side by side with a game warden and adjustable game scout.

Lawnboi

WKR
Which style mcmillans do you have?
I have a game warden, and an adjustable game scout. A close friend also has a game warden.

If I were buying today I’d get an adjustable game warden unless you’re on using a stock pack to raise the comb. Or an eh1, mine should be shipping soon, If it’s like my Rem 700 eh1 it will be a winner.

Grumman

WKR
I’d go for the refund. Definitely wouldn’t take a chance on them redoing it and screwing it up even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Well thanks everybody. Even with the bump in the MESA I have to raise my face above my cheek to some kind of "jaw weld", or i'd have to add something to get my eye in line with scope.

I think i'm returning it and contacting McMillan.

SDHNTR

WKR
Obviously that's off and unacceptable, but what do you mean by "interfering with the action bolt"?

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously that's off and unacceptable, but what do you mean by "interfering with the action bolt"?
for the bolt to engage the female threading in the front action hole, you have to put the bolt in at a slight angle to engage the threads, then pull the screw down ever so slightly to tighten the screw. I think its actually bending the action screw against the metal pillar.

So the front action screw and the metal pillar make physical contact. The rear screw sits inside the pillar and squeezes the action and bottom metal to the stock.

edit: I meant Action screw, not action bolt to anybody reading along.

Last edited:
OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Game warden and triad tactical stock pack
View attachment 362420
Adjustable game scout
View attachment 362421

A close friend has a Mesa, we shoot together regularly. I wouldn’t reccomend a Mesa altitude to anyone.
I'm going to contact McMillan to make sure my barrel will work in the Game Warden (proof CF sendero Light) and probably will get the adjustable one.