Pilot has changed base of operations... now what?

So, a deposit check has been sent to, and cashed by, a pilot for a DIY fly-in Alaska hunt for 2021. Our contract was to head into the field from a village a pretty good ways from Fairbanks. Wrights Air flew into village, and while this complicated things a little bit and added cost, the upside of dealing with less pressure was extremely appealing.

Well, it now sounds like the pilot plans to operate out of Fairbanks beginning next year. The prospect of saving money and headache by removing that intermediate leg of the trip is certainly nice, but I'm worried about a few things: Why is he moving? What will pressure out of Fairbanks be like? As a "new guy" operating out of rhere, will we be dropped on other hunters, or just be relegated to hunting leftover spots within range of Fairbanks?

I have not yet spoken with the pilot, but I plan to. One wouldn't think that he'd make a move for no good reason. I'm just curious what that reason is. Beginning about a month ago I have periodically checked in to see how his customers fared on moose. It was just this morning that I finally received a response. I find it a little disconcerting that as a deposit customer (not a tire kicker) I had to run him down only to learn that he'll no longer be flying into the area we had discussed. Mind you, if this is for the better (simplicity, more moose, are the only two that come to mind), I'm all for it. However, it still leaves one scratching his head a little bit.

Thoughts?

Specifically, can good moose hunting for NR be had out of Fairbanks. He has a few planes, and the one with the greatest range is usually on floats, but it has wheels as well.

PH80

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
Yes can readily access good moose from Fairbanks. We have flown direct from Fairbanks well north to the Brooks Range for moose a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would make the phone call. Give him a chance to explain things. He didn't move because he wants unsuccessful clients, so there has to be a good reason.

OP
P
UPDATE: Pilot wrote back and addressed some of my questions. In the email I learned that he is of the opinion that we're pretty much guaranteed to run into other hunters "anywhere in the state during moose season." I'm fairly certain that the original area we'd talked about would have been low odds of that being an issue. Please note: I'm not looking for a guarantee of being able to land where we want, or not having to work around other folks. These things happen. I get it. However, I'm dang sure not looking for hunt somewhere under the assumption that we will more than likely have to contend with other folks. Seems like we have exception and rules flip-flopped here. Just a concern of mine.

Also learned that we're going from a S Brooks lake hunt from float plane (greater range and carrying capacity) to an AK range ridge hunt out of super cub. Don't get me wrong... I want some success and as has been mentioned here already a couple times... I doubt he's making a change for no good reason. We've just really changed the whole hunt.

I could also be wrong, but I just picture likely spots for landing wheeled super cub on ridges out of Fairbanks are going to be somewhat limited. Granted, the moose densities are higher down there as opposed to where we were looking (from what some brief research has indicated), but how many more people / planes will we be battling?

I GUESS THE QUESTION BECOMES: How would you all feel about a ridge hunt out of Fairbanks in a super cub? Potential for success?

I'll also say this, the idea of ridge landing is what I had initially envisioned. I had talked myself into being excited about landing on a lake and making that work, but landing up high and being able to glass more country... even if it does wind up demanding more from us physically.

I would make the phone call. Give him a chance to explain things. He didn't move because he wants unsuccessful clients, so there has to be a good reason.

I completely agree, and hear you loud and clear. I think I mentioned this very thing somewhere in my initial post. If not, it was a mere oversight.

Yes can readily access good moose from Fairbanks. We have flown direct from Fairbanks well north to the Brooks Range for moose a couple times. My plan is to start doing my research for this new area and give him plenty of space. I don't want to be perceived as a pain, or a customer that is looking for the world on a silver platter. Once I know a little more, I'll give him a ring and we can discuss the move and what we should expect in terms of terrain, actual likely crowding with other folks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's talking about AK range out of Fairbanks. I just picture it being covered up with hunters.

What unit were you planning on hunting? And what unit now?

I was looking S. Brooks Range... 24B, 25A, 24C. Now he's talking about headed S into AK range from Fairbanks.

Last edited:

todd h

FNG
moose densities south of fairbanks are very high .
finding a legal bull is a little more difficult. I have hunted there 3 times not un common to see 10 to 15 moose daily

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree with your comment..."We've just really changed the whole hunt." Sounds like you definitely get it. A lake drop hunt for moose on floats and a ridge hunt for moose in a super-cub on tundra tires are two very different hunts in many significant ways. There are definite pros and cons to each, as you know.

Hopefully, the hired entity didn't just assume that since you contracted to do a future moose drop hunt on a lake with him that you automatically agree to change that to a moose ridge hunt in a super-cub in a different location. I sincerely hope that he directly informed and provided you with significant information to make an informed decision to do or not do the involuntarily changed hunt.

By the way, I have not seen another hunter, not one, for the past six years when moose hunting...that's the main reason that I pay the money to be flown to a remote location.

OP
P
I agree with your comment..."We've just really changed the whole hunt." Sounds like you definitely get it. A lake drop hunt for moose on floats and a ridge hunt for moose in a super-cub on tundra tires are two very different hunts in many significant ways. There are definite pros and cons to each, as you know.

Hopefully, the hired entity didn't just assume that since you contracted to do a future moose drop hunt on a lake with him that you automatically agree to change that to a moose ridge hunt in a super-cub in a different location. I sincerely hope that he directly informed and provided you with significant information to make an informed decision to do or not do the involuntarily changed hunt.

By the way, I have not seen another hunter, not one, for the past six years when moose hunting...that's the main reason that I pay the money to be flown to a remote location.

Yeah, pros and cons for sure. My initial vision of drop hunt was ridge.

In regards to paragraph #2 above, this is also of legitimate concern to me. As a customer who has paid up, it was a little disconcerting to track him down (simply to ask how 2019 wrapped up) and hear of future plans that are all together different from what was agreed upon. HOWEVER, I still don't know if he's just adding some Fairanks flights to the areas he's transporting to, or if he's moving all of operation there. If it's the former, it sure seems like he's going to spread MIGHTY THIN. If it's the latter, then I'm a little frustrated to no longer have on tap what I signed up for... at all. As mentioned earlier, I want to at least have a phone conversation before jumping to any conclusions.

Last edited:
when you pay to fly, the crowds diminish greatly. Most hunters are accessing areas with ATV or boats. Flying limits the hunt to those with money.
If I wanted to get away from crowds, I’d fly. Well, if I had the extra funds. For now, I just use my inflatable and mud motor. Try to get further than others.

Personally I would cancel! As soon as I heard the words “you’re pretty much guaranteed to run into other hunters” I would immediately ask for a refund. You pay to get away from other hunters. If you do a float trip it’s hard to say who else is floating the same “road”. But if you’re landing on a ridge top or even a lake you shouldn’t be hearing those words. Bail out now!