Pin float question

jm1607

WKR
I have a Prime Rize which doesn't really like weight on the front. I originally setup my front stabilizer with 1oz weight and back bar with 4oz. After shooting it has a slow/gentle tip forward which I think is perfect. I've also tried not running a front stabilizer but the bow seems to like the overall extra weight better, feels more steady and less floaty.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that my pin, no matter which pin I use, always wants to settle a couple inches low. Then I kind of have to fight it to come up that 1-2". There's no left to right or anything, it just always settles a hint low.

I tried adding more weight to the back of my bow thinking it would help raise the front of it at full draw. I eventually took the front stabilizer off completely and up'ed the weight in the rear to 8oz. That made virtually no difference...

Any ideas?

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I started having the same issue when I got a triax last year. I felt like it was a mental thing, but it mostly went away when I added one of the Limbsavers stabilizers to the front.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve heard target archers describing bouts of this as target panic, Heard a podcast with Paige Gore she actually sights her pin lower than her POI because she holds low

big44a4

WKR
I’m of same thought process and adjust my stabilizer setup in similar fashion. I’d say it’s mental. Trying blank baling. Also can just hold full draw arrow nocked like you are going to shoot and hold the pin over “X” for long periods of time and for reps. I’d go for 10-30 second holds whatever you can do comfortable. It will take some time.

I’m having same problem but holding high. Started when I switched sights before a shoot and didn’t get it sighted in. But when pin is on X it hits there 100% so it’s not the bow. Always a work in progress.

jmez

WKR
As others have said, that is target panic. It is s common form pin settling low and not being able to bring it up on target

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Griv has a you tube video of this on his thing a week series. Not necessarily target panic more likely draw shoulder too high.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Target panic. I get it every year. Beat it by just keeping your finger behind the trigger after you draw and hold the pin on your target, don’t fire. Let down. Repeat. Get comfortable knowing you can physically hold the pin there, then after mentally beating the urge to drop down a couple inches start taking practice shots. If it gets bad again, repeat the process. Also, use small targets. I use little one inch sticky dots for firearm target and golf tees. Practice indoors (if you can) by just doing the above at close range. After a couple months of repeated practice you should overcome this. I also float my pin around until I’m steady as I can be and comfortable I’m on the dot and then take your shot. Sometimes I’m drawn back 20 seconds or so

OR Archer

WKR
Do you bring your pin up to the target or down onto the target? I see this mainly with people coming up from the bottom. It’s a mild form of target panic. Allowing the pin to gently descend on the target is best.

Btaylor

WKR
I dont disagree with the target panic comments but have a different perspective than just broad stroke labeling it that. Dad started me on a recurve and harped on picking a spot and putting all my focus on that spot. When I switched to a sighted compound I found I had to sight under like mentioned above because sighting on created target panic for me because I was covering up my spot with the pin. What works for me is to sight with a 3" dot and then progressively reduce the size of the dot to 1" where I can put the pin right against the bottom of the spot and the arrow hits in the spot.

Gumbo

WKR
Call it what you want, but it is almost certainly that your subconscious mind does not like to aim at something that it can't see. The pin hides the spot you want to hit, and your mind keeps wanting to make sure the spot is still there or in the same place. It is a form of target panic and has nothing to do with weight or shoulder placement for me. The only answer for me was to quit aiming so damn much and just focus on maintaining and gradually adding a slight amount of pressure to the backwall once my pin was on target. And don't stop pulling once I start, regardless of float.

Jimbob

WKR
1. Bring your pin down onto the spot not from below

2. Check form. If your draw is long and you lean back (bent at the waist with hips pushing towards target) then bringing the bow up will be difficult, it will always want to drop low.

I am no expert but struggle with the same issue. Three things helped me - Aiming drills, using the practice feature on my Stan release and using a bigger target aim point. I actually shoot better groups and am able to hold center of desired aiming point shooting at a 12 inch bull vs a 3-4 inch. I think it is a mental thing shooting at small dots and not being able to fully see them.

Someone once told me to get a second site scope and remove all the pins and just center your target in the center of the scope and you will be surprised to see how tight your groups will be, even at distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I hold low because my pin blocks the spot. My cure is to not let the pin drop below the dot as I settle. If I'm lazy I and don't concentrate I shoot low if I focus I shoot the dot. Have heard of guys sighting in low but was advised against it. Deer and elk don't have dots I don't worry about it to much. My misses have always been high and hits have been in the boiler room.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I am having some target panic issues as well.....mine show up at 50+ yards....I am in process of changing to a thumb release and shooting it with back tension... surprise release is a must.....trying to "time" the shot release is the problem for me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are many reasons to why people hold low in the dot or the bottom and target panic is just one reason.

Many target guys will sight in to the top of the X ring on a NFAA target face for the given yardages. That gives them a little buffer if they shoot a week shot or hold a little low. The majority of archers misses are low, so that helps with many of them. Many target guys also add a ½ yard or so at the beginning of a tournament as most people are not shooting the strongest shots to start. Then as they start to find the arrows starting to hit the upper half of the dot, they start getting back to shooting the targets straight up for their yardages.