Pine Beetle Area's

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering if the pine beetle kill will act in someways, as a burn area. With the diminished canopy, will the undergrowth come back in a similar way over time. The unit I'm headed for does have some beetle kill in it, but not as bad as some of the units farther north. I'm curious of the opinions of guys that have had to hunt around those areas these last couple years.

Anything that opens the canopy is good for elk feed. Burns have special benefits in terms of soil productivity so there is some difference.

cnelk

WKR
Just because the canopy is more open because of the beetle kill doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better elk hunting or forage for that matter.
The animals need to make new trails every year with trees still falls my
The beetles are long gone and regrowth has started but trees still get in the way

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
There is definitely more sunlight getting to the ground. However, dead pines fall over. The unit we used to hunt bcame nearly impassable in some areas due to the tangle of trees on the ground. Doesn't matter how much sunlight gets in if the ground is covered in dead trees.

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I have witnessed mule deer using those areas more than elk for whatever reason.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Two years ago I hunted mostly all beetle kill pine areas. It is unreal how much growth is in there. Grass up to my knees and little Christmas trees everywhere.......as well as a bunch of elk.