Pine Gluch Fire in CO and my upcoming hunt

bwlacy

WKR
Time for me to start researching other OTC units for archery. I don't see these fires getting any better in the next couple of weeks. BLM closed a lot of land near the Pine Gulch fire now.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
This is a Type 1 wildfire that has, as of right now, burned 122,000 acres, making it one of Colorado's largest. The fire is burning in the middle third of the unit and continues unabated. Conditions are very unfavorable right now for fighting it. Lots of dry fuel, winds, low relative humidity.

At best you're going to have lots of smoke, mandatory closures, and I'd guess semi-constant air support operations flying all around you. If I were you, I'd probably find somewhere else to hunt. This will not be out on September 5th when you arrive.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Time for me to start researching other OTC units for archery. I don't see these fires getting any better in the next couple of weeks. BLM closed a lot of land near the Pine Gulch fire now.
Where did you find the information to the BLM areas closed?

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
There might be others also. I'm still searching the web for more info on other areas.
I will share if I find anything more. So as of now we are sticking to our plan unless the area is closed. I never had a mule deer tag before. So I really want to try and get for deer at least a day or two.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I will share if I find anything more. So as of now we are sticking to our plan unless the area is closed. I never had a mule deer tag before. So I really want to try and get for deer at least a day or two.
The area is closed, right now.

Does anyone know how close this is to elk unit 24?
The Grizzly Creek fire is the one to watch if you're planning to hunt unit 24. Pine Gulch could certainly send some smoke over into unit 24, but the fire itself isn't threatening that unit.

Here's a link to a map of the Grizzly Creek fire as of Monday. It has grown some since then, but firefighters are working to build a containment line that they feel confident will stop northward progress of the fire 8-10 miles south of unit 24: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/co-fires.182726/post-1768697

seiowabow

FNG
The Grizzly Creek fire is the one to watch if you're planning to hunt unit 24. Pine Gulch could certainly send some smoke over into unit 24, but the fire itself isn't threatening that unit.

Here's a link to a map of the Grizzly Creek fire as of Monday. It has grown some since then, but firefighters are working to build a containment line that they feel confident will stop northward progress of the fire 8-10 miles south of unit 24: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/co-fires.182726/post-1768697
Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a Colorado archery mule deer tag for unit 31 and hunting partner has a mule deer tag for 21. So we were planning to hunt the border of the two units.

When I look at the map the pine gluch fire is in the middle of the unit. I will be at the very north of the unit and plan to arrive around September 5th. I live in Pennsylvania so I have very little experience with wildfires. So should we consider hunting a different area further from the fire? or do we just need to wait and see what happens?

Also, thoughts and prays to all the residents being affected by these wildfires.

Thanks in advance.
how did the hunt go?