Pine Valley Deer Dedicated Hunter

Gageman34

FNG
I am Currently hunting it with a dedicated hunter permit so I’ve been hunting archery since Aug. 23. I am able to get out 3-4 times a week and have been all over the unit trying to turn up bucks I've seen in the past. I’ve been spending most my time near Ox Valley in enterprise, Pinto Peak near pinto and Grass Valley near pine valley.

I am from northern Utah so this is my first year hunting down south. I've never hunted this area in the muzzy or rifle... but I've done a lot of scouting and research and heard that the deer migrate during the hunts. When do they typically start to migrate and when should I start chasing at lower elevations??

is there any advice or direction anyone could give? I haven't Been seeing the deer numbers that I saw during preseason scouting and the numbers that I've seen in previous years while hunting quail.

They really tend to move at different times. If you dont see them where they were assume they are gone and dont waste your time hoping they are still there. I have had one muzzleloader season I saw 9 bucks in 2 days in one area, the next year not a deer in sight during the same season. Usually right after archery they tend to start moving though. I have hunted around Enterprise a few seasons where I was seeing bucks the last week of archery and my muzzy season they are gone. I have also has seasons when there are still some bucks around come the opener for muzzy. Its hard to predict.

slamdmini

FNG
I hunt pine valley during archery and I hunt the high country. My dad rifle hunts and the deer are not up high at that time. By mid Oct the majority are gone, earlier if it snows

TMillett

FNG
My son drew his first tag in pine valley this year, we are planning on hunting around enterprise. Good luck in there!

Ekrider

FNG
If you found bucks during the archery I would definitely concentrate on the beginning of the muzzleloader hunt in those areas, as the muzzleloader hunt goes on they definitely tend to get pushed out of high country, Whether it’s because of the migration or just how many hunters there are it’s a crapshoot.

Bsevans5

FNG
Did you have any success? This is my 3rd year dedicated. I call it dedicated hiker because that's all I do. Been out close to 70 days in the last 2 years. Haven't seen anything bigger than a spike or little forky. I covered a ton of ground last year. Saw more deer than the year before, but all does. I'm guessing with the cut in general tags things might get better in a couple years. After my 3 years are up of course. Hard to get excited each year when I work so hard and see nothing