Pinedale WY, Salmon and Challis

I'm wondering what the Pinedale/Daniel Wyoming area is like for both living and hunting.

My wife and I want to move out of Utah in 5 or 6 years and we often consider Pinedale (or west of there and Daniel), Salmon, and Challis.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the OTC elk and deer hunting is like in that area of Wyoming compared to those couple areas of Idaho and compared to Utah. I'm sure the quality is just fine, I'm mainly wondering about how the crowding compares.

For living, are people friendly, or do they keep to themselves? Is there an actual "community"? How are the extracurricular activities in the schools? Are there jobs in a few different industries, or are they mostly in one or two?

We've been to Salmon a couple of times and Pinedale a few times and have driven through Challis. People in Salmon seemed to be friendlier than in Pinedale. One guy in particular in Pinedale really grated my nerves.

We got friends in pinedale.

Problem is that while it’s close to everything, it’s not as well. Tons of stuff to do mission wise but a bit little light on day in day out stuff imho.

you’ll be living at 7000ft in Wyoming. That’s enough to run off a wuss such as myself.

OP
H
We got friends in pinedale.

Problem is that while it’s close to everything, it’s not as well. Tons of stuff to do mission wise but a bit little light on day in day out stuff imho.

you’ll be living at 7000ft in Wyoming. That’s enough to run off a wuss such as myself.

yeah the quiet day to day is what I like.... I grew up rural so the city is killing me. And the nasty winter weather and being far from everything is what I'm thinking will keep the place small!! I'll have to build a UV room for my wife for the winter 😂 she's actually pushing for that area over Salmon and Challis

Check out area vibes website - option to compare cities and lines out some of those questions for you.

wysongdog

WKR
I would have to say pick Salmon, I've worked and hunted in and around Pinedale and honestly it's cold as hell in the winter short summers. And the people aren't overly friendly... Just my opinion.

Lingling

FNG
I grew up in Challis. Easy to find space to hunt. At least 30 years ago it was over the counter deer with decent success for cow tags. We used to pick up cancelations for the middle fork of the salmon float lotteries at the ranger station in town which was pretty neat. The valley itself and everything south is in a rain shadow and it is very dry, desolate, and depressing imo. Hot spring across the valley is pretty sweet for a town pool.