Pines or aspen for bedding?

bmf0713

WKR
Doing some e-scouting and I found a few nice benches near what look like could be feeding areas, on one side of the feeding area is some pines mixed with a bunch of aspens and on the other side is just thicker pines with some blow down. both are facing the same direction so wind should be the same. Do the elk prefer the aspens or pines for bedding? has anyone noticed one more than the other? im looking for a plan of attack by staying furthest away of possible bedding areas.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Why do you want to hunt where the elk aren't? Serious question.
I was thinking of hunting the feeding area either in the morning or at night and i dont wanna bust right through their bedding area. Im trying to get a game plan for all the spots i wanna hunt using different scenarios, like wind, time of day, weather, etc...

Too many variables. In the summer pattern I often find them bedded in the middle of parks or meadows. In September I typically find elk daytime bedding areas are on the north side of ridges or points which tend to be fir or spruce with less underbrush (in my country). A lot of times I'll find nighttime beds in south facing pine or aspen growth. But once you think you know it all, you'll be proven wrong. Don't overthink it, they aren't particularly smart, but they are very highly instinctual.

muddydogs

WKR
Time of year, weather, cloud cover and the elks general disposition that day will effect what there doing. It might be cold and the elk want to catch a few rays of sun in the aspen or it might be hot and there looking for the dark shade of the pines. Heck the elk might be tired of walking, have a full belly and just decide that this spot is good enough for a nap. Everything discussed about elk behavior is in general, the elk will be where you find them any given day on any given piece of ground.

I've seen elk bed in thick pines and just a few hundred yards away under oak brush. Two elk doing different things on the same day just a few hundred yards apart.

If you can find the right Aspen pockets surrounded by black timber, you very well could hit the jackpot. You have the best of both worlds. Bedding and feeding area. If there's water nearby, bingo! A few hundred yards x a few hundred yards of quakies surrounded by timber is what I look for......