Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site Colo. unit 142

Hi Guys,
I drew the late (December) rifle mule deer tag for PCMS, unit 142 in southeast Colorado and am really struggling to find anyone else that’s hunted there….any info about the deer quality or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've drawn that tag twice, and then turned it back in twice as well. So no help here as to the hunt. One of the years I turned the tag in, a guy shot a 200" buck. I sure hope it was the guy that got my tag.

OP
N
Can I ask why you turned it back in? I’ve got 19 nonres points on the line and could turn it back in as well…

Bearsears

WKR
I believe the CPW did some experiment down there over the last few years and severely brought down the population and especially older age class bucks. Ill try to find where I saw that

Bearsears

WKR
It was on GO HUNT. "Army officials no longer consider this a trophy mule deer area, emphasizing that managers have allowed an overharvest as researchers study several ways to control chronic wasting disease."

I think there are better hunts to be had for 19 points

Hnthrdr

WKR
I spent time training and hunting down at PCMS. I love the country out there… seen some dandy bucks and picked up some awesome deadheads years ago. My biggest issue is/was access. You camp outside of the site. Can’t get in there until 4/5Am they they roads are fine but must drive 20/30 mph everywhere, and the place is huge! By the time you get in, drive super slow, park and hike to where you wished you could have camped to glass it’s seems like you missed the best glassing/ hunting time. It may be easier to swing with shorter days in December. But that’s a lot of points to spend down there. If I remember right the biologist that works there full time has killed some really nice animals… go figure

OP
N
I spent time training and hunting down at PCMS. I love the country out there… seen some dandy bucks and picked up some awesome deadheads years ago. My biggest issue is/was access. You camp outside of the site. Can’t get in there until 4/5Am they they roads are fine but must drive 20/30 mph everywhere, and the place is huge! By the time you get in, drive super slow, park and hike to where you wished you could have camped to glass it’s seems like you missed the best glassing/ hunting time. It may be easier to swing with shorter days in December. But that’s a lot of points to spend down there. If I remember right the biologist that works there full time has killed some really nice animals… go figure
Thanks so much for the input - sure is hard to find anyone that’s actually done the late mule deer hunt. Thanks, too, for your service.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Can I ask why you turned it back in? I’ve got 19 nonres points on the line and could turn it back in as well…
The first time I turned it in........some drunk girl took out their Kiosk for checking in and out every day with her car. So they were only doing check-in's and out's with a smart phone.......which I did not have at that time. I drew again the next year and just wasn't all that into a Dec deer hunt, so turned that one in too. If I'd gotten the two points those years I'd have 20 resident points now. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with these points. Wish I could trade them in for elk points. :p