Pioneer 500, Maverick Trail & Mods/Accessories

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a 50” SxS to take on trails, narrow roads etc as well as use to maneuver trailer and boats around our narrow driveway.

Was between the Pioneer 500 and Maverick Trail and after looking at both, the Maverick Trail sure is plush and comfy but it seems like the shorter wheelbase and simplicity of the Pioneer 500 gives it an edge. Also, the bench seat is nice for squeezing my daughter in between my wife and I.

For those that have been around either or both, a couple questions:

is there anything I should consider that might not be obvious when comparing the pros/cons of each one?

many must have accessories or mods? E,g can I get by with just the 1/4 windshield? How necessary is it to upgrade the tires on the Pioneer?

with the Pioneer more specifically, how are you carring your gear? Will need to haul a couple backpacks and bows

thanks!!!

jolemons

WKR
No Pioneer or Mav experience, but a lot of UTV experience. Stock tires will get you up and down a trail. I like to carry a plug kit and slime the tires. A full windshield and doors are nice when it's cooler outside.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
I have had a pio 500 going on 5 yrs now.

Its way cheaper, the engine is bulletproof, its slower but will climb anything. Aftermarket stuff is readily available. I have roof, front windshield/ back windstop. I also put real skidplates, 2 inch bigger tires, front bumper w winch and rear cargo box. Fabbed the box and plates- but all are readily available.

The short wheelbase is good for trails but pretty sure the maverick could do 99% same stuff.

One thing to know is the lateral stability of the narrow pioneer- it gets tippy on lateral inclines. I have rolled mine on a trail i prob shouldnt have been on. But- winched it back up on the trail, started right up and away I went (after cleaning the yardsale from the cargo box)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My work has several Pioneer 500s and they have been good machines for the most part. Have not ever ran a Maverick. Some pro's for the Honda's are their gear driven transmission and low end torque. We have dusted a couple engines from having them in real powdery dirt, so I would advise on a snorkel kit if that's the type of terrain you ride in. Also the factory 24 in tires are pretty crappy in my opinion. As for rear cargo beds, we run Strong Made on all of our 500s. They are made in USA and have held up well over the last several years. We also run Honda's factory front and rear windshields and poly top. Hopefully that helps.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the Maverick, but Honda is all I need to know. I have a 07 Rubicon atv and a 16 pioneer 1000. Both have been absolutely flawless and problem free.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I have an p500 and fitting it in a truck bed is a wicked sweet perk. I have a windshield, roof, rear wheel spacers and 27'' studded interco reptiles tires on it. Way better now than stock in the snow, mud and ride quality. I also put a trailer tongue box on the rear rack so I can stow a pile of gear without it getting wet. That is a cheap solution to the gear storage problem on these.

TexasCub

WKR
Just a heads up, the guy at the Honda dealership told me that at higher elevation the Pioneer 500 and 700‘s struggle with loads and have no true low gear. He actually advised against buying the Pioneer unless I opted for a 1000 which was way too high in price.

I’ve been looking them over also. Like you mentioned the Maverick is pretty plush. I like the price of the Pioneer. But I wonder if the 5” of suspension travel will be enough? I’m a little above average height and the Maverick was a little more comfortable to sit in for me.

I’m sure the Pioneer would work for most of what I would want it for. Just slower and a rougher ride. The pioneer would probably have less issues in the long runs also.

cgasner1

WKR
Love my maverick it’s a awesome machine one of my buddies has the same machine and is ordering the tracks for it next fall only thing I don’t like is know one makes solid doors I’d love to be able to just pull them off this time of year to open the cab up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback here. Going to go with the Pioneer, just need to decide on tires.