Pistol carry for women backcountry hunting, backpacking, and living in the field

I work in wildlife and am constantly working/sleeping in remote regions. I also enjoy backcountry hunting and backpacking trips. I am looking searching for lightweight holster options for my 10mm pistol (Springfield Armory XD (M) Elite Compact OSP). I would prefer to steer clear of chest holsters because I would like to have the option to use my bino harness and I cannot add more weight onto my chest with a bino holster option. I thought a leg holster would be the best option but many reviews point out that long trips (15+ miles) can cause pulled muscles or pain due to weight of holster and gun. A backpack holster could be an option but I am limited on the backpacking/ hunt packs that fit me properly (a thread for another time). Currently, my hunt and backpacking pack is a men's Thule 50L (pack from 2016). It has limited attachment options as compared to a Kifaru.

Update: I found a hunt pack that properly fits my back ( https://seekoutside.com/kenai-5400-backpack/ ). This now expands my options for holster attachments to packs.

Last edited:

wyodan

WKR
Even though you said you didn't want to add a chest holster, I think you should consider the Gunfighters Kenai. I wear it underneath my bino harness, and don't find it uncomfortable. I've tried leg holsters, backpack holsters, and belt holsters, and found the Kenai to be the most comfortable of the bunch. Also, when you drop your pack, you didn't also drop your firearm.

Maybe look at something that will drop your holster below your hip belt. I used a device called a UBL from safariland.

sndmn11

WKR
Maybe look at something that will drop your holster below your hip belt. I used a device called a UBL from safariland.
I was thinking a QUBL or a different attachment with the QLS depending on what the belt looked like. I think that system is among the best going for what most use their pistols for in the woods.

I was thinking a QUBL or a different attachment with the QLS depending on what the belt looked like. I think that system is among the best going for what most use their pistols for in the woods.
I have a qubl but haven’t played with it much yet. There are spacers you can buy to adjust the belt width on a UBL.

if you go with a plate and fork system you can move the holster to a mole belt. Just make sure to zip tie it or lock it with some 550 cord, don’t rely being threaded through molle

11boo

WKR
Those full drop leg holsters are horrible for much walking. Like someone said above, there are dropped holsters, that will put the gun below the pack belt.

I’m liking this more than any holster, it is a bit heavy with binos and a gun, but I’m sold. Fits easily under pack straps.
Hill people recon and bino case.

52CB3F6F-89F8-4717-A283-4E99D2094BDB.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
Chest holster is the way to go. When you need that weapon... you need it right now. Just hang it under your bino harness. It only gets in the way when you're crouched down, knees up high.

wesfromky

WKR
Those full drop leg holsters are horrible for much walking. Like someone said above, there are dropped holsters, that will put the gun below the pack belt.

I’m liking this more than any holster, it is a bit heavy with binos and a gun, but I’m sold. Fits easily under pack straps.
Hill people recon and bino case.

View attachment 368920
This is a good solution. A female friend of mine runs a smaller HPG kit bag for back country carry. I think they make a smaller version of the recon now as well, which paired with the bino case might work out well for you.

sndmn11

WKR
I am taking a guess that the chest holster is a no-go possibly due to inherent obstacles for the female OP. @KickinNDishin uses a hip pack for fly fishing due to that, and has as minimal of a bino harness as possible.

*zap*

WKR
A leg holster can be worn high with only the bottom strap used just under the crotch. That would put the top of the grip just below your pack belt. That is the (imo) best way to wear a leg rig. You should have zero issues with that and certainly no pain. The majority of the weight hangs from your belt.

Wrench

WKR
I suggest carrying how you train. If you train strong side.... carry strong side.

I put my 43x in my bino harness but don't do so for defense as much as out of the way.

Jbehredt

WKR
My wife Carrie’s her Glock 29 comfortably in a diamond d leather chest holster. Guides choice I believe. It’s got enough adjustment that she can wear it under her bino harness without the two conflicting.

TheGDog

WKR
I got a Diamond D for my .357 4" and they are comfortable. But it was too much stuff the Marsupial together with that chest holster for me here in SoCal, since heat is usually part of the equation too.

OP
W
Even though you said you didn't want to add a chest holster, I think you should consider the Gunfighters Kenai. I wear it underneath my bino harness and don't find it uncomfortable. I've tried leg holsters, backpack holsters, and belt holsters, and found the Kenai to be the most comfortable of the bunch. Also, when you drop your pack, you didn't also drop your firearm.
I will definitely look into it! Because of my build, I don’t think I can afford to add more weight. But I could always give it a try and return it if the weight is too much

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE my Kenai chest holster from
Gunfighters Inc. Super comfortable. Still figuring our the best way to combine it with a bino chest rig for draw but it is comfortable. My other options I really like is a FCS system from BlackRhino Concealment that uses the Safariland UBL/QLS system. The midride sits JUST below my Kifaru waist belt. The elastic Nuhts strap is optional. It does pull a bit but the elastic greatly minimizes this pulling while hiking. Not enough to bother me. As for belts, can’t say enough good things about Blue Alpha belts. MASSIVE difference in performance between a real gun belt and a regular thick leather belt. I Only wear the hybrid belt anymore. Very comfortable and pants don’t sag when wearing gear like pistols or tools on waist. I also run a an Springfield XDM OSP 10mm

OP
W
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all the responses and sorry for the delay! I have some great news that I was FINALLY able to find a hunt pack that properly fits my back! So this also helped me narrow down some carry options.

Since the Seek Outside packs have webbing on the waist belt I am leaning towards the https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/ or a paddle holster. It would be ideal to have the option to move the pistol to clip on my pants waist belt and move back to the packs hipbelt. Has anyone used paddle holsters or this ivory system in this manner? The only issue I see that I could run into is the fact that most women jeans and field pants have small belt loops which only allow for "dainty" belts. So I would prefer to not attach my pistol to my belt but instead attach to my actual pants.

I also am planning on buying a Kenai chest holster for the times I am not hunting and don't have my bino harness attached to my chest.

sndmn11

WKR
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all the responses and sorry for the delay! I have some great news that I was FINALLY able to find a hunt pack that properly fits my back! So this also helped me narrow down some carry options.

Since the Seek Outside packs have webbing on the waist belt I am leaning towards the https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/ or a paddle holster. It would be ideal to have the option to move the pistol to clip on my pants waist belt and move back to the packs hipbelt. Has anyone used paddle holsters or this ivory system in this manner? The only issue I see that I could run into is the fact that most women jeans and field pants have small belt loops which only allow for "dainty" belts. So I would prefer to not attach my pistol to my belt but instead attach to my actual pants.

I also am planning on buying a Kenai chest holster for the times I am not hunting and don't have my bino harness attached to my chest.

We use these I'm our seek packs.

This goes in the belt with one of the female adapters from below

With two female adapters from this kit and one male, you can leave the MOLLE fork on your pack. The other female adapter can go on a belt slide or paddle or wherever (we have one on our kid's jogging stroller) and you can move your holster back and forth easy.

The drawback. I see with the holster you linked is there is no retention. If I'm sliding slopes and hoping logs I'd trust my life to safariland's ALS to keep my pistol on me rather than getting hooked and pulled out.

Last edited: