Pistol carrying in Grand Tetons?

bascott1

WKR
The wife and I are headed to Jackson Hole, Wy the end of March and beginning of April. We are flying out and planning on doing some snowshoeing and outdoor activities, just wondering if its worth bringing the pistol just in case. Anyone have any suggestions? Hate going somewhere without carrying.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Kinda what I was thinking. Just wanted some opinions. And would we have to worry about grizzlies? They up and moving by then? From Alabama so dont have much experience in the subject

Phaseolus

WKR
Nope, not for snowshoeing, won’t be a whole bunch of meateaters out chasing you that time of year.

Just realize that the visitor centers do not allow firearms inside. It is posted on their doors.

Not trying to start a 2nd amendment conversation here, just stating.

Oh, I typically carry in both Teton and Yellowstone NP. Make sure your have reciprocity with Wyoming.

Wapiti1

WKR
Boar grizzly will usually come out of the den mid-March through April followed by the females in April and May. Black bears will be out late Feb and early March, but they den lower than grizzlies.

They'll be mostly in lower areas that are greening up and on winter range looking for winter kill.

It wouldn't hurt to have a sidearm, but I doubt you'll have any issues with bears.

Jeremy

I looked into this a couple of years ago when I went. Oddly enough, though you can carry in Teton the gun can’t be part of your wild life protection strategy and you can’t discharge it unless you are hunting. So if anyone asks, you carry for antisocial purposes. If you have to use it, claim the bear shot first.

FLAK

WKR
The NPS are a bunch of IDOTS!!! They'd rather ME get chewed on than to shoot one of their precious Grizzlies. Good Luck with that!!! esp. when I have my family with me.

Honestly you’re better off with bear spray. There will definitely be bears out and about that time of year and they are grumpy and hungry. It’ll be the big boars out first then the sows. You can’t carry for protection in the park anyway. Carry spray, keep your head on a swivel and make lots of noise and you’ll be fine. Jackson is quickly becoming a non gun friendly environment. I’ve found the less you look and act as a hunter/pro gun person the less crap you will get from all the nut jobs in and around the park.