Pistol grip or not for turkey shotgun.

Wanting to add a turkey shotgun for the occasional times I get to go.

Pistol grip or no?

Was thinking of a mossberg turkey/duck combo, but the combos don't come in pistol grip. If it's not worth it, then I'll pass and go with a more standard stock.

Kurts86

WKR
The biggest disadvantages to a pistol grip on a shotgun is that they mess up the safety reach ergonomics especially on a tang mounted safety like a Mossberg but also on some cross bolt safeties as well. Pistol grip stocks tend to be a bit heavier as well if that matters to you.

As far as turkey gun attributes having a short 20-24” barrel and the ability to mount a red dot are way above a pistol grip for me as key requirements.

I like the pistol grip for turkey. After using one for several years, I don't plan on changing back.

I imagine it is personal preference, but I feel like I can hold my gun in position longer when a bird is coming and I can't move with a pistol grip than without one....especially if I don't have shooting sticks at the time.

my current turkey gun is a pistol grip. i am looking into getting a new shotgun though as I feel my current one is to heavy.

I think this time I will leave the grip off. I think it just adds weight, not the I hate it but I don't think its necessary.

dtrkyman

WKR
Definitely personal preference, not a fan, messes with safety function. I am a stickler for quietly pushing off safety with finger and thumb! Pistol grip makes that difficult and I think the general feel is off for me, just used to a standard grip.

I have both. Im not over the top happy with a pistol grip. My dad and brother in law swear by them.
i walk a lot and the grip digs at by back. I also have killed turkeys in some weird positions and it’s something else in the way. Now saying all that I don’t hesitate to grab one of my guns that have them to hunt I just wouldnt buy one dependent on having one or not. I’m shooting a English style sxs this year.

Attachments

• 880A4AAC-216E-43A4-9AE0-0FAED6375586.jpeg
    880A4AAC-216E-43A4-9AE0-0FAED6375586.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 28
OP
silverbullet555
So, it's about 50/50. I don't do it a lot so I am likely better off going with something like a mossberg 835 or 935 combo that has 2 barrels, one for turkey and one for waterfowl and no pistol grip. As long as there is a way to mount a red dot on it.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
So, it's about 50/50. I don't do it a lot so I am likely better off going with something like a mossberg 835 or 935 combo that has 2 barrels, one for turkey and one for waterfowl and no pistol grip. As long as there is a way to mount a red dot on it.
That means your pulling the red dot and base or saddle off every fall to duck hunt and remounting every spring…if you want a red dot, keep it on a dedicated turkey gun. Go try out the pistol grips and see if you like them. I have the 870 with sure shot stock and love it…but it’s only my turkey gun.

I like a pistol grip so I can shoot one handed with my 12 gauge like a glock gangsta style.lol Have an older Remington 11-87 that had a regular stock that i switched to a pistol grip for turkey hunting. It doesn't mess with the safety. To me it seems like the stock tucks into my shoulder better when sitting on the ground for turkeys. Just my opinion.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I am definitely pro-pistol grip. I have the Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey and I love it. I put a rail on it and added a red dot and swapped out the stock safety with one from NDZ Performance. I don’t think I’ll ever need another turkey gun.

OP
silverbullet555
That means your pulling the red dot and base or saddle off every fall to duck hunt and remounting every spring…if you want a red dot, keep it on a dedicated turkey gun. Go try out the pistol grips and see if you like them. I have the 870 with sure shot stock and love it…but it’s only my turkey gun.

Good info

BCD

WKR
Meadow Creek makes a rib mount to mount a reflex style red dot to the barrel instead of the receiver which would alleviate this issue as the sight would be attached to the barrel rib. To learn more do a search on them at the Old Gobbler website.