pistol grip tripod heads

who uses a pistol grip tripod head? what are some models to look at? the niche this would fill is combo for glassing from with just binos and shooting off of.

the Outdoorsman is my top choice now, but i know next to nothing about pistol grip heads and who builds good ones that aren't anchors

BBob

WKR
I've owned Outdoorsmans, they are high quality and work well like all of their stuff but they aren't for me. At the very least I'd have to add the pan attachement if I were to use one but even then I still prefer a std head.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I have the outdoorsman’s with the panning attachment. It’s been great. I don’t use it much since I bought a btx and 85. For binos only it’s a solid choice.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy has the outdoorsman version and its fantastic. Rock solid with his 15x Kaibabs and easy to maneuver. He got his as a gift from one of his Taxidermy clients, otherwise he says he never would have spent the money for one.

Ive played with his a bunch thinking I might want to buy one. Nope, I’m going to stick with my Sirui ball head. Once I get the tension just right on my ball head, I like that I can use the bridge of my nose to move laterally, then a slight up or down by hand. He has to manually move in every direction.
What Sirui head are you using? I went with a ball head for the first time this year to save some weight over my pan head, but the Promaster I have wasn't quite as smooth as I'd like. Just curious. Thanks.

Sonoman

FNG
I use the outdoorsman as well with the panner attachment. This way I can set it up and move horizontally across a hillside, move down and go back across. I use mine only with binos and use the VA-5 with my spotter. I really like the outdoorsman setup with binos.

Trr15

WKR
I have the outdoorsman’s pistol grip w/panner as well. Solidly built and a quality product, I just haven’t taken to it like I expected to. I prefer their panhead and use it 90% of the time. I’ve kept the pistol grip because I like the idea of it, but probably just need to sell it.

BBob

WKR
I have the outdoorsman’s pistol grip w/panner as well. Solidly built and a quality product, I just haven’t taken to it like I expected to. I prefer their panhead and use it 90% of the time. I’ve kept the pistol grip because I like the idea of it, but probably just need to sell it.
That was me. I had two of them, one for nearly 20 years. Took another on a trade and had it for 15 before coming to terms that I don't care for them and finally sold them.

tdhanses

WKR
I also use the Outdoorsmans with panner attachment, works great even with my Kowa 77 series.

OP
roosiebull
I use the outdoorsman as well with the panner attachment. This way I can set it up and move horizontally across a hillside, move down and go back across. I use mine only with binos and use the VA-5 with my spotter. I really like the outdoorsman setup with binos.
I have the VA-5 and love it, I need another tripod setup now and will be shooting off of it, so I figured one with a ball head may be better

Maybe I’ll just get another identical setup and make it work

ChrisAU

WKR
My buddy has the outdoorsman version and its fantastic. Rock solid with his 15x Kaibabs and easy to maneuver. He got his as a gift from one of his Taxidermy clients, otherwise he says he never would have spent the money for one.

Ive played with his a bunch thinking I might want to buy one. Nope, I’m going to stick with my Sirui ball head. Once I get the tension just right on my ball head, I like that I can use the bridge of my nose to move laterally, then a slight up or down by hand. He has to manually move in every direction.

You need to play with one with the panner…

Ive had one for 8ish years mike and the outdoorsman is pretty nice. I havethe panner adjustment as well and after picking up the sirui va5 head this year I'll probably never take the outdoorsman and keep it as a backup. The va5 is soo much smoother. And holds my spotter much better. I don't think the pistol grip would be sturdy enough to shoot from either

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
roosiebull
Ive had one for 8ish years mike and the outdoorsman is pretty nice. I havethe panner adjustment as well and after picking up the sirui va5 head this year I'll probably never take the outdoorsman and keep it as a backup. The va5 is soo much smoother. And holds my spotter much better. I don't think the pistol grip would be sturdy enough to shoot from either

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
thanks... maybe i'll just get another identical tripod as i have now which is perfect, and figure out the rest... i don't want to compromise my glassing setup to maybe shoot off of the tripod

i have a different tripod with a decent ball head, so i guess shooting off of it and checking it out glassing would be the most logical 1st step

i do want the option to shoot from a tripod, but we'll see