Pistol Reloaders - Help Me Out - 9mm/10mm

Brendan

WKR
I've never really focused on being able to reload 9mm and 10mm pistol, but need to change that with the way things are going. Fortunately I already have some LPP and SPP, will need to find dies, brass, bullets, and probably some more powder although I already have 2-3# of unique. I am all set with precision rifle stuff, tumblers, scale / powder measure, primer seater, etc.

I'm running a Redding T7, not stepping up to progressive yet although would like whatever I buy to work equally well if I snag a Dillon. I'm not shooting a ton of rounds, spend plenty of time with bolt actions, my bow, and skeet too.

Dies: Do I care what I'm using? Just grab whatever I can find? Lee 3 die set? Guessing brass will be all over the place.

Powder, anything that works well across both 9mm and 10mm? I've heard Unique for target practice is fine, but also heard Longshot or PowerPistol if I can find them. Not sure if there's anything else out there I should be keeping my eye out for.

Currently shooting 10mm out of a G20, 9mm out of a Sig P320 and a G26

Thanks!

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I don't really see much a difference in dies. I've still got my preferences, not sure why. But especially right now, yeah, whatever you can get will be fine. I've loaded with the cheapest dies I can find, and I've also loaded with dies that cost about 200 bucks each. Lee will do just fine.

I don't load much 9, I used mainly vihtavouri powders or powders on the slower side that fill the case. Power pistol, long shot and 700x were my go to for 10mm.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend carbide dies for straight wall pistol ammo. I prefer RCBS and Redding but LEE carbide are just fine too. This eliminates the need for lubing cases and then also removal of lube after sizing. Sounds like you have all the required equipment. A decent powder measure is all that is needed to dispense powder after settings are verified. A good quality measure throwing pistol powder should easily throw charges within .1-.2 of a grain.

Also highly recommend Universal Clays powder. Very similar burn rate to Unique, but WAY cleaner burning. Works with a variety of cartridges and bullets weights etc..

The last piece of advice I would offer is the use of a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the final loading stage/process. These dies not only do a great job of crimping but also smooth out any minor case imperfections. Once in a while if you use enough range brass or brass from something with a "looser" chamber than your gun, you may end up with a slight bulge or wave in the case. Will cause a failure to feed or failure to go completely into battery on a semi auto. One quick pass through that die will GUARENTEE that the cartridge will feed completely into your chamber.

Compared to the loading you have done for rifle in the past, the pistol stuff is a piece of cake. Although not as bad as rifle components, some of the pistol stuff is hard to come by in my area too. Primers being the main thing.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the process!!

MThuntr

WKR
Yep carbide dies. my 9mm is Lee and my 40/10mm are RCBS. I'm not a great shot but they all go bang.

I'm using Longshot as it also works for my slugs. A little goes a long way...1lb is like more than 1k of ammo

Universal, CFE pistol or HS-6 would be better for the 9mm and 10mm overlap powder. I don't know Alliant pistol powders real well but they also have free data so check them out.

Honestly if you can get it Shooter's World powders are some of the most economical powders out there...often $5-10 less per pound than Hodgdon

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok. Jumped on some Lee Carbide 4-Die Sets that were in stock. Don't even really feel I overpaid that much, maybe a little but not compared to primers and powder anyways...

Thanks for the powder recommendations, I guess now it just comes down to finding it in stock, but fortunately that's been a lot easier than primers. I see some CFE Pistol available right now actually, but I've been taking it in the rear with hazmat and shipping charges lately so going to try to see what else I need and see if I can get more of a "bulk" order.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use Power Pistol for most of my loads in my 10mm, and some Accurate No.9 for some hotter loads. In normal times, Power Pistol is easy to find and cheap. I love Starline brass and CCI 300's.......and second the crimp die.

BigDog00

WKR
Ok. Jumped on some Lee Carbide 4-Die Sets that were in stock. Don't even really feel I overpaid that much, maybe a little but not compared to primers and powder anyways...

Thanks for the powder recommendations, I guess now it just comes down to finding it in stock, but fortunately that's been a lot easier than primers. I see some CFE Pistol available right now actually, but I've been taking it in the rear with hazmat and shipping charges lately so going to try to see what else I need and see if I can get more of a "bulk" order.
Where did you find them? I've been looking....

I haven’t heard Blue Dot mentioned. I’ve had great results for 10mm with 150-220gr bullets. Hornady has Blue Dot load data for 9mm using 124gr and 147gr bullet’s.

Terrapin

WKR
CFE Pistol makes a nice load in both 9mm and 10mm, from mild to aggressive. Additionally, it has a very appropriate density that will not fit a double charge... much safer than some more dense powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I'm going to hold off on buying more powder until I find everything else as I have at least enough to do a little testing.

Have primers, shellholders, and dies either here or on the way. So, brass and bullets.

Anyone know of a good bulk 9mm/10mm bullet and brass source? Or just keep watching and grab whatever I can when it comes in stock?

BDWMT

FNG
Second the Lee carbide crimp die. A 3 die carbide set of any main brand should be adequate but all my jams have been eliminated by adding the carbide crimp die to all my pistol reloads. Bullet seating and crimping in the same step is a conflicting process and will give you problems with mixed brass lots.

brocksw

WKR
i use #9 for my 10mm (blue dot produced more vel but was very dirty imo). I don't load for a 9mm, so couldn't help there. Carbide dies definitely.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond K Brass in AZ is your friend for handgun brass. Extreme Bullets and Berry Bullets seem to work well in everything I have loaded for. You order direct from Extreme. Powder Valley is a good source for Berry.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm going to hold off on buying more powder until I find everything else as I have at least enough to do a little testing.

Have primers, shellholders, and dies either here or on the way. So, brass and bullets.

Anyone know of a good bulk 9mm/10mm bullet and brass source? Or just keep watching and grab whatever I can when it comes in stock?
Here ya go...

Second the Lee carbide crimp die. A 3 die carbide set of any main brand should be adequate but all my jams have been eliminated by adding the carbide crimp die to all my pistol reloads. Bullet seating and crimping in the same step is a conflicting process and will give you problems with mixed brass lots.

I'm not familiar with a carbide crimp die. I have carbide resizing dies, and taper crimp dies. You usually don't need carbide for crimping. Usually a taper crimp is used for straight walled pistol cases and a roll crimp for revolver cases. You could run into trouble roll crimping a pistol case since it headspaces on the mouth of the case, whereas a revolver doesn't.
Also, in heavier recoiling revolver rounds, you need to roll crimp the case, but only if the bullet has a cannelure or crimp groove. Trying to roll crimp a case when the bullet has no crimp groove will result in the case deforming.

Where on earth are you managing to find powder? I have managed to collect everything I need to load except powder for both rifle and pistol. I finally found 9mm reloading dies so I bought 2 because you Never know when you will need 2. I found a RCBS press kit in Texas my daughter found and shipped to me only to have a friend hook me up with his old stuff.