Pistols and bears

jhm2023

WKR
Pistols are plenty suitable for bear defense if you train properly and often, as well as learn to shoot under stress. People who say otherwise either don't know enough about pistols, bears, or both. Of course you should also feed it some appropriately designed/constructed bullets.GRIZZ WITH 454 2.jpg

Get you a Houge x frame grip and put it on that 29. The x frame grips will fit on your N frame and help a lot with recoil on those stout loads.

Yes, the X frame grip worked wonders on my 329PD (.44mag). With a handload that's working up to the Buffalo Bore 255 (1250fps out of 329PD), it's manageable. Mine's 240gr at about 1150 but going to gradually work it up to 1250 or so if all clear. Tested on the action range the other day and was a curiosity to the semi-auto guys.

Snyd

WKR
Pistols are plenty suitable for bear defense if you train properly and often, as well as learn to shoot under stress. People who say otherwise either don't know enough about pistols, bears, or both. Of course you should also feed it some appropriately designed/constructed bullets.View attachment 105709

Looks like maybe a Gerstle River Griz?! ...met his match with the 454 Toklat? Nice job!

jhm2023

WKR
The question is;

Was he looking for you...or were you looking for him? /grin

Stumbled upon him while bow hunting blackbears with my wife. I think he was waiting for the sow to go into heat, but the sow charged us and I shot her 4 times. He followed right behind her and one shot was all he needed. I didn't like the math when I had to shoot 5 shots at 2 bears with a 6 shot revolver, so I carry a 16 shot 460 Rowland now and it doesn't hurt to shoot like the 454.