Pitted barrel

Mike P

FNG
have a question for you guys...

I lent my Knight to a "buddy" for a late season elk hunt he drew...he knew nothing about muzzleloaders and proceeded to leave my gun loaded for the hunt taking it in and out of the truck and cabin the whole trip (can anyone say moisture!!!). then he took a shot with it halfway through the hunt and reloaded it the next day and continued on...

Long story short now my barrell has a nice corroded spot inside the barrell just in front of the breach plug and it wont come out for anything...the gun still seems to shoot fine and is accurate but the corrosion bugs the hell out of me every time i look at it

Have you guys found anything that will shine up the inside of the barrell without damaging the rifling? It was loaded with Pyrodex when all this took place so it was a bit more corrosive than the new loads i use now. oh and its a blued barrell...next gun will be SS for sure

I was going to use this as an excuse to get another muzzy but my wife gave me this gun as a wedding present 15 years ago so I want to keep it in good shape for future hunts.

Any help would be great, thanks

BuckSnort

WKR
Depending on how bad it is you may be able to clean it up with the right sized jag and some JB bore paste on a patch... But I advise caution, if you don't know how to hand lap a BBL, you could do more damage than the pitting.. If it still shoots fine I wouldn't mess with it other than a thorough cleaning and a small amount of oil for storage...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'd agree with his last statment. Might not need to worry about it. Sounds like the corrosion is so far down the riflings, it won't affect you anyway. Just keep it clean and run an oil patch down when you put it away.

You reminded me why I don't loan guns (or horses).

IAHNTR

WKR
Try molasses and water. 1 to 3 ratio and let it sit for 3 days and then clean. It will help and not hurt the rifleing and eat at the corrosion. I did it on my dads Knight BK-92 and it helped a lot. I put a toothpick in the flash hole and stood it upright in the bath tub. Can't hurt, give it a shot. If it only works a little clean the barrel and do it again.

OP
M

Mike P

FNG
thanks Fella's

will try some of the above ideas

cheers,

Mike