Place to get eyes on a bunch of scored antelope...

Tod osier

WKR
I'm driving from the east to WY for an antelope hunt and thinking it would be great to see some mounts with scores. Some Cabela's have scores on their mounts, but I don't remember what ones. Anyone have a suggestion of a place that has a bunch of mounted antelope to check out? Scored and a nice range of sizes would be a nice.

wytx

WKR
Yeah, well some of those mounts are not authentic so maybe stop at a Taxidermist shop and look around.

Why does score matter anyway, shoot a mature buck and be happy.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR

While I don't disagree with that perspective, I would like to shoot the "best" buck I can. One aspect of "best" for many folks includes the horn size along with the intangibles that we value. It is also my decision of how I define my hunt, not yours.

I have a lot of time to hunt and I'd like a goal (and for sure not shoot a little one because I don't know any better, I'd also like to not pass up on a great mature buck because I didn't know any better). I waited a long time building points to earn the tag. Additionally, I paid an ungodly amount of money for the tag (compared to what you pay). Were I to stay a nonresident of WY, I would likely not draw that tag again under 90:10. It shouldn't be a surprise that in this climate where WY goes out of it way to limit nonresidents for resident benefit and is asking them to fund that change that I'd want to get the "best" buck for my buck.

Not that you have my answer, I'll also say that I don't appreciate you crapping on my thread.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Jump on pronghorn guide service. They have field judging material on their site and in their blog with A LOT of examples and how they get the score they do.

Thanks, I've done that, and I have one of their videos. They do spend a lot of time of huge bucks, I'm afraid my eyes will get warped. That was kind of the reason, I'm looking for some more representative bucks. I've read through the books and read/watched the judging tutorials I can find.

sndmn11

WKR
Jump on pronghorn guide service. They have field judging material on their site and in their blog with A LOT of examples and how they get the score they do.

This is the best advice. Then start a post on here of animals on the hoof that were eventually scored.

Pick two/three traits you like and you should be happy. Might be shape, might be prongs, might be the look from a certain angle, might be length, etc.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
This is the best advice. Then start a post on here of animals on the hoof that were eventually scored.

Pick two/three traits you like and you should be happy. Might be shape, might be prongs, might be the look from a certain angle, might be length, etc.

Thanks, I let this tag get higher stakes than I would have liked. I started trying to draw in lower points units for low pressure fun learning experience, but I never made the draws I tried for. Fast forward and now I have a pretty good tag and no experience. Not the plan, but better than not drawing ever.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks, I let this tag get higher stakes than I would have liked. I started trying to draw in lower points units for low pressure fun learning experience, but I never made the draws I tried for. Fast forward and now I have a pretty good tag and no experience. Not the plan, but better than not drawing ever.

Score is really simple but it can happen in many different ways. Since your on the hoof estimates will probably be 5"+ ranges, i.e. that buck is 74"-80", finding the traits you like should get a lot of thought. For me, I dislike curls straight back and I dislike prongs straight forward. I'd rather shoot a heart shaped splayed prong that is smaller.

WCB

WKR
Thanks, I've done that, and I have one of their videos. They do spend a lot of time of huge bucks, I'm afraid my eyes will get warped. That was kind of the reason, I'm looking for some more representative bucks. I've read through the books and read/watched the judging tutorials I can find.
If you stop at a Cabelas or Bass Pro it would be the same thing. I don't remember the last time I saw a "representative" of anything at those places.

If you have looked at all kinds of scoring materials, videos, etc looking at most mounts is not going to help unless they have a score and the length, prong, and mass measurements laid out. If you have a good amount of time planned for the hunt and you are in a high point unit, you will more than likely be able to look over a bunch of goats and make your own baseline of big and small whether you figure score on them or not.

If you were going across 94 through Belfield ND for any reason I would tell you to stop at The Trapper's Kettle. They have a wall full of goats and most are not the 90+ inch Cabelas/Bass Pro style ones.

Biggie

FNG
It's not rocket surgery. Get out there a couple days early. You'll have no shortage of bucks to look over to get an idea of what's a good buck for the area. Even in a low points/high pressure unit we looked at over 100 bucks on public in a day and a half before hunting.

I agree. Any 13-15 inch Pronghorn buck with some mass and relatively good cutters is a worthy trophy. Most guys don't even kill something like that, let alone look for something that'll measure over 70 inches. Goofy.

sndmn11

WKR
Attitude in being annoyed when someone tells me how I should hunt my tag - absolutely.
I hope that isn't a reference to me. Here are different bucks that are all 75-80", one I have a score sheet I will post a picture of if you would like to see it. Hope these help!

A
PXL_20220730_135557797.jpgPXL_20220730_135516890.jpgPXL_20220730_135530897.jpg

B
PXL_20220709_140018720.jpgPXL_20220709_140020434.jpgPXL_20220709_140021951.jpg

C
PXL_20211001_215415061.jpgPXL_20211001_215500751.jpgPXL_20211001_215518065.jpg

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I hope that isn't a reference to me. Here are different bucks that are all 75-80", one I have a score sheet I will post a picture of if you would like to see it. Hope these help!

Absolutely not in reference to you, it is the peanut gallery telling me to just shoot a mature buck and be happy.

Thanks for the advice and pics, I appreciate it!