Place to get eyes on a bunch of scored antelope...

sndmn11

WKR
Absolutely not in reference to you, it is the peanut gallery telling me to just shoot a mature buck and be happy.

Thanks for the advice and pics, I appreciate it!

Throw some scores on each buck and the why of it, and maybe some folks can tell you what they see.

I'll put the score sheet of the one I shot up a little later to see how close you got.

nphunter

WKR
I think the people saying to not worry about scores are probably more realistic. Hopefully, you get an Antelope but holding out for a certain one will limit your success. I'm not sure what tag you have in WY but to find a big goat can be a challenge. I just got back for Nevada from a successful antelope hunt, I saw 21 different bucks in the couple days I was there, some were wide, some were tall, some were dinks but none were stand out giant bucks. I really have no clue how big some were and I have good glass, 10's, 15's and an alpha spotter. I was archery hunting so I obviously couldn't be as picky as a rifle hunter, I could have had my pick with a rifle but still am not sure which bucks I saw were the biggest or scored the best? I have seen some giants here at home in Oregon but didn't see any stand out's in Nevada.

Here is but buck I shot, no idea what he will score, my son ranged him for me and I am extremely happy with him, haven't decided if he is worth a shoulder mount yet but he is caped and in the fridge. I’ll post the score after I measure him but I’d guess he’s low 60’s?

849614A0-CF13-452C-BD93-50251BB93185.jpeg

Here is a definite big buck, not sure what he'd score but he is way bigger than anything I saw in Nevada.

C46BBDD1-B5C4-4C07-A6B4-6CA23A926A22.jpeg

Last edited:

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I'm driving from the east to WY for an antelope hunt and thinking it would be great to see some mounts with scores. Some Cabela's have scores on their mounts, but I don't remember what ones. Anyone have a suggestion of a place that has a bunch of mounted antelope to check out? Scored and a nice range of sizes would be a nice.
Cabelas in dundee Michigan had a collection of them last time I was there. I think they had numbers on them. You can look at pronghorn guide services website too. Lots of pics with numbers

Following simce im In a similiar boat with a decent tag and a chance to hunt private with good antelope quality

Thanks, that is just what I'm looking for, but would be a tough route addition to push that far south. I will be at the inlaws in MI and headed to WY, that would add a whole day. I'd take a 2 hours each way detour, but probably not 4 each way. I'll still consider it.
Cabelas in Dundee MI.

hunterjmj

WKR
One thing I’ve noticed hunting antelope is the big ones will just stand out. You’ll probably see lots of 13-14” bucks but a big tall heavy will just stand out. Try not to get to wrapped up in score but rather a buck that really stands out to you. Like others have said, go a few days early and look over the bucks in the area to get an idea of what to expect.

Rich M

WKR
I went in 2017 and was 25 yards from a nice mature and heavy buck, shot a doe cause i had no buck tag. Decided i would like a balanced buck. Typical if was a wt or muley - my only muley was less tha 4 inches diff between antlers - amazing.

Just want my antelope evenly matched, care less what a tape says. The uniformity is what im after.

We all hunt for diff reasons. Go, have fun, shoot for the stars and have fun. The only folks we need to please is ourselves.

My first goat hunt was 2019, being fresh from the east and never before set foot in antelope country, went in with the attitude of a nice representive antelope would be nice or a really big antelope would be better. 2nd day of hunt 250 yards one shot and he now graces my wall, good mass, good height, nice even cutters and good tip curl, the only thing missing is the ivory tips (think they look nice) Is he a trophy book animal no but a very good antelope even the taxidermist who mounted him stated he was vey good antelope. He ask me if I wanted the goat scored and I told him no. My opinion is everyone wants a monster animal and that is fine, My approach is look them over,take your time and shoot the one thats best for you. For me the trophy book animals are a seldom achieved quest where the upper range animals are what builds memories and are the true representivies of the species. Hopefully going back in 2023 nothing like hunting the speedsters of the plaines. Good luck on your hunt. And yes I will hope for a book buck but more than likley will shoot the best antelope I can.

Being a midwestern myself and having pulled 1 premium WY tag 7 years ago, I will echo off what some others have said and from my limited experience

If you have a primo tag in your pocket...congrats! You're in for a fun hunt. You should be looking over dozens and dozens of bucks each day. You'll know right away when you see a shooter. As others said they just will stick out from the rest and I would not expect to see many BIG bucks. Your run of the mill mid 60 buck should be plentiful. If ya see a low to mid 70s it will stick out. If you see a upper 70s or the coveted 80"+ buck there will be no question it's a shooter

I was in one of the better units in the state following consecutive rough years on the goat herd and the lack of trophy quality showed it. I looked over 100s of bucks. Don't know if I ever saw a 80"er. I ended up killin my buck on day 6 which I glassed him up on day 2 and let him walk earlier

Be patient , don't be trigger happy in a trophy unit. You should be looking over A LOT of bucks. You'll know when ya see a shooter. He should stick out. WY booners are known to be shorter in length but heavy horned throughout. Mass is everything when I come to score

My goat was just shy of 79" and was happy with him. He's right at 16" in length but is lacking mass and cutters. I may have seen 1 or 2 bucks over the magic number but this guy stood out because of his length

End of the day you're in for a good time. Have fun out there!

Attachments

• IMG_4195_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    IMG_4195_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4201_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    IMG_4201_hdr_mode_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 27

P dog

FNG
Here is one i shot last year. He went right at 80". I'll try to get some after the kill photos uploaded as well. Good luck on your hunt! Hope to hunt WY antelope in 2023.

wytx

WKR
Wow, crapping on your thread, lol.
Made a simple suggestion but hey take all the time you want to look over some bucks and try to learn how to judge them.
Best of luck to you, hope you get a nice one.
Like I said go by some taxidermy shops to get a realistic look at what is getting taken. Best bet would be by your hunt area to get a view of what may have been taken from that very area.

My advice would be to look for something with horns more than twice the ear length at least and the prongs above the ears also. Bases bigger than the eye is also a good measure of mass.

Good luck, I got my book buck many years back and had no clue what he scored until he was down. Mass is deceiving so looking for length only will not do it. He was mature to my eye, big body and nice mass that was clearly obvious.

I hope you have a great spotting scope for glassing , binos can get tiresome for your eyes .

P dog

FNG
Wow, crapping on your thread, lol.
Made a simple suggestion but hey take all the time you want to look over some bucks and try to learn how to judge them.
Best of luck to you, hope you get a nice one.
Like I said go by some taxidermy shops to get a realistic look at what is getting taken. Best bet would be by your hunt area to get a view of what may have been taken from that very area.

My advice would be to look for something with horns more than twice the ear length at least and the prongs above the ears also. Bases bigger than the eye is also a good measure of mass.

Good luck, I got my book buck many years back and had no clue what he scored until he was down. Mass is deceiving so looking for length only will not do it. He was mature to my eye, big body and nice mass that was clearly obvious.

I hope you have a great spotting scope for glassing , binos can get tiresome for your eyes .
If this is in reference to us that posted some goats with what they actually scored, i hardly consider it crapping on a thread. Carry on!!

wytx

WKR
Just responding to him telling me I was crapping on his thread, which I wasn't but ok.
Like I said just asking why score mattered?

Pretty sure most folks know I like to see hunters have good luck and fun on their hunts in Wyoming.

WCB

WKR
It's not rocket surgery. Get out there a couple days early. You'll have no shortage of bucks to look over to get an idea of what's a good buck for the area. Even in a low points/high pressure unit we looked at over 100 bucks on public in a day and a half before hunting.
I wouldn't count on that...I hunted a unit 2 years ago that in 1.5 days of scouting I marked exactly 9 bucks on public land and we looked over every piece there was to offer in that unit. Nobody around. Evening before opening and the army rolled in. We were on option 7 1.5 hrs before shooting light either someone was sitting on that goat or had rolled in and set up camp right where we had marked goats. I bet we only saw around 150 Antelope total scouting. I have a lot of experience with goat hunting and guided them for 5 years

My buddy whos was hunting goats for the first time killed a upper 70s buck and at the end of the first day I killed a low 60s buck and glad I did not have a tag after opening morning.

P dog

FNG
I'll get the score sheet. I have no reason to lie about a score. My ego was left at the door a long time ago.