Plains Whitetail hunting.

Pro953

WKR
I have never hunted whitetail. I have spent my hunting years chasing black tail and mule deer. I figured it would be interesting to try something new and see if I can add a whitetail to the collection.

For hunting the plains states eastern Wyoming, Montana, western Dakotas, the bit of scouting I have done the land is very open prairie type country. More akin to what I experience hunting Antelope.

How do you target Whitetail in this county? Do you actually get up on knobs and glass, It seems so flat, I was not sure if that would be very productive. Do you walk creek bottoms? All of the above. I have hunted tree stands for black tails in thicker timber so I am not against it, but I do not see much in the way of trees, so I am not sure if it’s the best use of energy vs covering ground. Hunt water?

How do you like to hunt these areas? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Find the creek bottoms or alfalfa fields, that is where the whitetail will be. Most of the more established creek bottoms will have enough trees or thicker brush to set up a tree stand or ground blind. The whitetails will generally stay off the open prairie except for in the rut when they will run anywhere and oftentimes will pin down a doe in the wide open