Plan for 2020

Hey everyone. New to Rokslide. I have been hunting for roughly six years now (primarily bow). Mainly have hunted in Southern California and one season in Utah for elk. After many years of putting in back breaking work, grinding miles upon miles on public land here in socal and having very VERY marginal opportunities I have decided to only put in for eastern sierra archery tags in 2020. Pretty much have narrowed it down to A16, A20, and A15 in that order for my choices next year. I know some of these zones you on draw every 3-6 years but figured if I put in for those three in that order I am bound to draw one randomly.

Figured with this plan I can fish and get a bear tag too while I am up in the eastern sierras.

If I dont end up drawing then ill be going to Utah for cow/spike Elk hunting or Idaho for OTC Bull Elk hunting

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Have hunted X12 a couple times. Used to take 3 points for a rifle tag, now its up to 5 or 6. DFG cut tags quite a bit in recent years.

Some big deer in X9a and X12. Let me know if I can help with specific areas you are looking at.

I don't think I'd waste my time in X8.

OP
aeverett152
Ive been camping and fishing in both x9a and x12 zones but have never hunted deer on the times that I have been there. Ok if I shoot you a PM? @Mulyhuntr.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
A15 has VERY low deer density and the average deer harvest is even lower. A16 has good Deer numbers and great access but I’d lean towards A20.

OP
aeverett152
That sounds like solid advice. Since you dont recommend A15 is there another archery hunt in the sierras you recommend putting in for as a third choice?

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
They way California does there draws there's little archery X zones leftover, and those that are leftover are pretty difficult. I'd shoot for X9A, either X6 and X7.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk