Planned hunt with new baby coming

JFK

WKR
Wanted to bounce this off some others since I figured some on here have been through this.

My wife will be having a baby this year, mid August. It’ll be our second. I had an elk hunt planned for mid Oct. Fairly certain I will draw. When we found out we were having another baby a few months back I pretty much put the trip on hold, mostly out of respect for the fact that I’d be leaving my wife home with a 3 year old and a 2 month old infant. My wife is telling me to go…says it will be tough but I deserve it. I’d be gone 10 or so days.

Now I’m thinking about going based on her encouragement. Is this a trap? Is it a shitty move to go? We do have family close and she’d have lots of help, but I can’t get passed the fact that it seems kinda selfish to go out of state elk hunting while she’s wrangling a new born and our son.

Opinions?

Yeah I'd go too. Make sure everything is buttoned up at home and like RMM said, bust your ass when you get home too. If you have family close its even better. My son is a little over 2 months old right now and I am sure my wife could handle me being gone for a couple of weeks.

WCB

WKR
My opinion...with 2 kids right at 2 years apart (2yrs 8mo and 8mo) As long as the delivery and everything goes well and everything else is squared away...I would go. This past year our youngest was just over 3 months old when I went on my first week long hunt and then I was gone 3 more weeks in the next 1.5months.

You know your wife and if she can handle it. Also, any family around that would help her out while you are gone?

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
that’s such a tough decision. I don’t have any advice really but I am following because I am in a similar situation myself haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler

WKR
No one can give you an answer for this. I went on an elk hunt with two kids under 7 and a third that was 7 weeks old. Had a mother in law that is helpful and could stay while I was gone. Other people I know haven’t hunted at all with kids under 2.

We never thought or talked about the should very much, we both just kind of made plans for it. If you’re asking probably a different situation.

OP
J

JFK

WKR
My opinion...with 2 kids right at 2 years apart (2yrs 8mo and 8mo) As long as the delivery and everything goes well and everything else is squared away...I would go. This past year our youngest was just over 3 months old when I went on my first week long hunt and then I was gone 3 more weeks in the next 1.5months.

You know your wife and if she can handle it. Also, any family around that would help her out while you are gone?

I’m gone every week for a couple days at a time at the firehouse so she’s pretty used to taking care of things single handedly. We also both have retired parents close by who currently help and would be willing to help out during this time.

jpmulk

WKR
Learning about this myself. The guilt of leaving is much higher than I expected! Haha. I asked my wife if she preferred multiple shorter trips or one long trip. She preferred the shorter trips. I also told her to plan to have family come over or go to family while I am gone so that she’s not just stuck at home. Definitely a huge transition though with the hunting and kids. I think planning as far and in advanced as you can is key.

mlgc20

WKR
I was in the same boat about 15 years ago. With my wife's blessing, I went on my trip. But, I came home after 3 days. I just couldn't stand being away from my new daughter. It was the only time I was excited to get out of the woods. Now that baby is my primary hunting partner, and shot her first elk last year.

I would say go. I would suggest an inReach, so you can be in touch. But, if all is good at home, I'd say go.

Rob5589

WKR
Go, max it at 7 days, plan to be preoccupied with that new bundle at home. Good luck!

Go, the older one should be able to help a bit. By Oct should be in a good routine, hopefully you have friends helping or family. What I will say is with my first I went hunting a few weeks later, tough but she understood and I never miss anything.

Haha same boat. Having a baby tomorrow but went snowmobiling today. She said it would be fine it's all good. Was supposed to go out for a full day. Made it 2 hours and the guilt of not being home with my family was kicking my ass. The moment I told myself I was turning around and started to head back I was happy, guilt free and ready to rip. There is always more deep pow days out there . I get the your kiddo will be a few months old so I guess I'm in a different situation. Baby giggles or bull bugles. The elk will be there next year

Maverick1

WKR
Wanted to bounce this off some others since I figured some on here have been through this.

My wife will be having a baby this year, mid August. It’ll be our second. I had an elk hunt planned for mid Oct. Fairly certain I will draw. When we found out we were having another baby a few months back I pretty much put the trip on hold, mostly out of respect for the fact that I’d be leaving my wife home with a 3 year old and a 2 month old infant. My wife is telling me to go…says it will be tough but I deserve it. I’d be gone 10 or so days.

Now I’m thinking about going based on her encouragement. Is this a trap? Is it a shitty move to go? We do have family close and she’d have lots of help, but I can’t get passed the fact that it seems kinda selfish to go out of state elk hunting while she’s wrangling a new born and our son.

Opinions?
I’ll keep it simple. It is always a trap. Regardless of what you do, it’s always a trap! 😆

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from a guy with two kids under 6....

If you cancel a hunt over a two month old, you'll also cancel over your one year old. It's a slippery slope that leads to you "picking it back up" in twenty years. Minimize your time away, but stick to it. Find ways that you can take over the kids and give her free time when you're home. That will pay off in season. And have a plan to get those kids into the outdoors.

Torino

FNG
Obviously whatever you decide is best. Mentally play out the worst & best case scenarios, anticipate actual outcome being in the middle.

If you’re only a drive away from home, and will have in-reach or cell most of the time that mitigates a lot of risk.

If you’re a flight away from home, keep in mind how unpredictable covid travel policy can be.

This is your 2nd so I’m sure the answer will much more obvious once baby arrives. Whatever you decide, congratulations to you two and best of luck.

For whatever it’s worth I didn’t hunt the year my oldest was born, but the freezer was still plenty full. Plenty of friends and family were successful that year and always brought a freezer box by when they came to meet the little one.

EdP

WKR
I don't think it's an intentional trap, but it might leave some scars anyway. If the delivery goes as expected and everything is fine, she should be OK with family help. What if it doesn't go that way. A "C" section instead with the additional recovery time, or some other problem that means she needs more help? Are you OK with cancelling the trip, or would it be better to put it off a year and be there even if nothing is amiss?

TxxAgg

WKR
You'll need to go above and beyond before and after

You'll need your wife to be on board 100%

You'll need some family help

Otherwise there'll be some resentment

Also be able to communicate with them in case someone gets sick or something. And have family checking in. My worst fear was that my wife would be in a freak accident (like falling in the shower) and the kids would be stuck in cribs with no food, no diaper change...you get the idea. Yes, I'm a worrier.

Last edited: