planned stalks and random encounters

RCB

WKR
Hey folks. A survey question for the forum: for Western hunters, what proportion of the shots you've taken on deer, elk, pronghorn, etc have been planned stalks, where you glass the animal from a distance, plan a stalk and get a calm shot with a good rest, vs. random encounters while walking about, where you often have only a few seconds to get a good shot? You know, one of those "oh sh!t" moments.

I ask because it seems like all the hunting shows I see tend to focus on spot-and-stalk hunts. Perhaps that's because they need to get it on film, and a random quick-shot encounter is not likely to be filmed well. I'm a new hunter, and the one deer and one elk I've killed were both due to pretty random encounters, where suddenly an animal appeared and I had relatively little time to get a shot. For the elk, I knew they were in the area because we had been following their trail, but the opportunity for a shot happened suddenly and within 50 yards. For the deer, I I was glassing over a hill and suddenly saw a group of 5 running exactly in my direction (spooked by another hunter). I had about a minute to put myself in a good shooting spot, and then had a good 30 seconds to make a shot at about 200 yards. In both cases, the animals saw me and knew I was there.

So, what percent of the shots you have taken on game have been one of those "oh sh!t" moments? Stories encouraged.

hodgeman

WKR
Surprise encounters probably make up 10% or less of the shots I get. Most of the stalks are pretty long and the shooting is generally very deliberate- which is generally the norm in open and mountainous country.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Surprise encounters probably make up 10% or less of the shots I get. Most of the stalks are pretty long and the shooting is generally very deliberate- which is generally the norm in open and mountainous country.
^^^ Yup, same here.

Fatcamp

WKR
We glass a bunch but seem to find most of our animals by covering ground and glassing as we go. They rarely know what hit them.

The terrain we hunt is open desert sagebrush country for antelope and mule deer. We often see animals from a distance, but rarely see where deer bed.

Wapiti1

WKR
I still hunt thick timber a lot. I pretty much know where the elk or deer will be, but the encounter is somewhat random. That said, 90+% of my shots are at calm, usually bedded animals. Not sure how that figures in. I would say it is a planned encounter, but others might see it as random wandering.

Jeremy

Netherman

WKR
I think this ratio is largely based on previous experience as well as experience in an area. I'd say I'm running in the 50/50 realm but expect this number to swing towards the spot and stalk as I become more knowledgeable in the western hunting game as well as the hunt areas I have been to before. I'm in my 4th year of western hunting and would say that I walk ~30% less and see ~60% more game than when I started. I'd say that I set a pretty low bar to start but hope to continue spending more time looking in the right places to get that ratio more in my favor.

excerpt from my 2019 MT Hunt:

I joked that once we popped over the ridge there’d be a buck for me to shoot. As we crested the hill, we spotted a coyote on the opposite ridge. Thinking it would be cool to have a deer and coyote when they (other group members) showed up, I briefly thought about taking a shot. Those thoughts faded as a buck stepped out into the open. Thru my binos I was able to tell that it was the same 3x3 from earlier. I quickly got a range and went prone. He stopped, but there was a pine tree in my way. I moved for a better angle and he started walking again. My friend made a doe bleat and stopped him. He was quartering towards us, so I settled in on his inside shoulder expecting an exit on behind the off-side shoulder. I squeezed the trigger and he nearly did a backflip he kicked so hard. Two steps and he was down.

Full story: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/2019-mt-deer-elk-trip-report.144398/page-3#post-1411477

S.Clancy

WKR
I would say 90% planned, but sometimes I actively "jump shoot" mulies. We've killed some real nice bucks like that.

Rich M

WKR
I'm an eastern guy who has had 2 western DIY hunts so far. Have taken 2 antelope and a decent muley buck by capitalizing on available opportunities as opposed to pure spot and stalk.

Figured out where the animals wanted to be and was waiting for them.

Wrench

WKR
I'd say I'm about 50/50. I do glass a lot more than others in the gun seasons and move on the ground a lot during archery.

Stalker69

WKR

I agree with this. Most of the time it’s a planned stock. Pretty rare I get a surprise encounter.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR

This.