Planning a colorado trip! Gps question

Been researching since fall for a trip to colorado for otc elk sept opener, wondering what gps people reccomend or if anyone has one they would like to sell i may be interested, i had an oregon and sold it like a dummy a few years ago, probably would of worked perfect any input would be much appreciated, not looking to spend 700 on a gps just want something to compliment my compass for backup thanks!

My compass compliments my gps... other way around. If you intend to keep running the mountains for elk either go to onXmaps or break down and buy a decent gps. Not a stepping stone.

I had a buddy who did that. He was my best friend in the off season. At one point I caught him short on cash and picked up a Swarovski 20-60x80mm spotting scope with a decent tripod and carry case for..... $600!!! Lol I’m rambling but I live telling that story.

Anyway... the sweetness of low price is gone long before the bitterness of low quality.

Catahoula

WKR
I run an old Garmin 62stc w/ OnX chip and compass. I may replace it with the Garmin 66 model, which one I don’t know yet, there are three or four in the 66 lineup. However, the 64 model is available as well. It just my opinion, I like how Garmin handhelds suit my style of hunting/scouting excursions. Good luck in your choice.

OP
Bighunt531
Thanks for the input, i just want something that has an easy backtrack option and that stores nice waypoints

OP
Bighunt531
My compass compliments my gps... other way around. If you intend to keep running the mountains for elk either go to onXmaps or break down and buy a decent gps. Not a stepping stone.

I had a buddy who did that. He was my best friend in the off season. At one point I caught him short on cash and picked up a Swarovski 20-60x80mm spotting scope with a decent tripod and carry case for..... $600!!! Lol I’m rambling but I live telling that story.

Anyway... the sweetness of low price is gone long before the bitterness of low quality.
Yeah thats what i ment lol

Skull10

WKR
OnX Hunts app on your phone. Saved map grids and run your phone in Airplane mode. OnX has all the backtrack and waypoint options you want.

I run that and a topo map with compass as a backup.

mwebs

WKR
Using your phone with Onx, Backcountry Navigator or a similar app is better than a cheap gps. I've seen it first hand when a buddy's gps couldn't find us because "we weren't walking fast enough." We were packing an elk out in fog, rain, etc. Phone work perfectly, plus I'm sure you already have one. Haven't used a gps in a long time at this point.

have you thought about looking into the Garmin watches? I am also going OTC elk in CO this fall (much like everyone else LOL) and i use OnX but I also bought a Garmin Instinct when it was on sale. It doesnt have Topo maps like other watches, but can mark waypoints and track yourself on the watch. It also has an app you can use to pull up maps. it is not as detailed as a normal Garmin GPS would be but I like it, just a suggestion.

If you really want a dedicated backup buy an etrex 22x. It's more than capable and pretty small and light.

Personally I find it unnecessary. But it would work great. I keep my old etrex legend HCX at the truck just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your smart phone has a GPS in it. I bought a subscription to GAIAGPS.COM and haven't looked back. It is very similar to OnX Maps except a lot cheaper. The maps are not the same as Google Earth like OnX, but still works great with the phone. Just bring a battery backup with you or a solar charger for the phone. Plus has a bigger screen than most hand held GPS units. I didn't think that most people use stand alone GPS units anymore in that they are obsolete like the long bow. LOL! Let see if that gets any bites.

Last edited:

rlg5

FNG
If you are looking for a back up get a garmin inreach. offers gps, satellite txting, and sos saftey

Last edited:
An alternative to onX is Basemap. I just downloaded that for $24 for nationwide coverage for a year, much less than the $99 retail onX goes for, and it seems to work about the same. They have more map options and a 3D option (which is a little gimmicky imo, but may be helpful). Something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Garmin 64ST I use. I can mark way points and then I transfer them to Google Earth and OnX. Where I hunt I lose my cell service all the time. It is nice to have the Garmin with me in case I get an animal down in a deep hole and I have no cell service . I will be able to find my way back to him.

Inreach mini paired with phone. GPS/mapping, tracking, weather, texting/communication to outside world if needed, and more. Backs the phone up well if your phone dies. Bombproof and lightweight as well. I’ve used several different units and this pairing is by far my favorite

Brooks

WKR
A Garmin Oregon is a good backup gps. I have onx on my phone but if you ever forget to put it on airplane mode it will only last half a day. I always have a Oregon 650 with me and a few batteries when I’m in the high country wilderness.