Planning a colorado trip! Gps question

I have a 64st with an onX chip, use it all the time, I haven’t had any experience with in in Colorado (I’m heading there this fall though) but I have lots of time using it in the state I’m from. Never had an issue with it losing signal. I just prefer the hand held gps and the reassurance of a spare set of AA’s if the batteries get low. If your phone dies and your a few miles back in a new area and it’s getting dark, you’re kind of out of luck. But if you do decide to get a gps I would highly recommend using it a lot before you head out so you actually know how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
Lots of options for lightweight chargers for phones. I can get two charges off mine, so 6 days of hunting using it on airplane mode. If I check emails or how my fantasy football team is doing might be a little less. I'll charge it at lunch so I know it's good at night.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I mainly use ON X but have a garmin 64 attached to my pack that I use as my back up. Camofire has garmin products on sale today .

Bearshirt

FNG
I ditched the gps years ago. The iphone has an amazing screen better then any gps. I use Gaia gps and have used it in places I have had trouble with a gps like dark timber and heavy foilage spots in Michigan. Use you phone in airplane mode and I only tirn it on every so often to get a compass direction. I have satilite and topo maps. Its just so easy not like a pia gps😂

If you want a small, reliable GPS, the ETrex series from Garmin have worked well for me. I've owned 3 as newer models with upgrades came out and they have all been simple, small, reliable, and good with battery life.

Gila

WKR
All of my hunting and ballistic apps go on an old inactivated note3 phone. I save all of the onx maps for offline mode. Onx will let you track and set waypoints using the phone's GPS. I use my active phone as a hotspot when in range. I also have an inreach mini which is a gps but I use my inactive note3 to do the texting. I use a 10" tablet to watch movies at camp which also has an internal GPS. I have a solar battery charger and two usb ports on the side-by-side. My failsafe is a military compass and a paper map. I may not know where in the sand hill I am but I won't be lost! 🤠