Planning an Idaho bear hunt

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning a diy spring bear hunt in idaho unit 39, is it worth buying a wolf tag to have in my pocket? Also going to probably be the last 2 weeks of the season more than likely the last week of the season. Any advice?

Wolf tag is what, 35 dollars? Just another drop in the bucket, might as well. Youll be kicking yourself for being a cheap ass if you get the opportunity but didnt buy one.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I had already came to that conclusion, I should have worded it differently never have been it that country, more or less asking if there are wolves in that unit.

JJBuck

FNG
It's still a great unit for bears! I had the same thought of you in the past, but found out it was a no go on the chance at a "bonus wolf" during the spring bear season.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Well I still have some time for research but I sure would like the chance at a wolf

Wassid82

WKR
JJBuck is right but if you can swing a fall hunt for bears you can hunt bear/wolf/deer simultaneously. Last year I saw 6 separate bears in 7 days hunting 39. I think its easier to hunt wolves during the late winter. Predator control could be very helpful bear or wolf.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about hunting spring bear to kind of get my feet wet in Idaho but also looking for a wolf at the same time, then going up in the fall and hunting for wolf exclusively for a week after my other hunts are over.

If that’s what you want to go, great. Do that. Pick a zone with a lot of wolves. I’d look around Salmon or north of Riggins at north central Idaho or the Panhandle.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I was thinking about hunting spring bear to kind of get my feet wet in Idaho but also looking for a wolf at the same time, then going up in the fall and hunting for wolf exclusively for a week after my other hunts are over.

My wife and I are planning now to do same type hunt.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bear this last may diy in Alaska so I am mostly going to help my buddy out and get a good look at Idaho.

JJBuck

FNG
Update- There may be (hopefully) changes to wolf seasons with the seasons being extended in nearly all units for 2020. That would mean you could wolf hunt during your spring bear hunt in almost any unit!
If you haven't done so, go to IDFG show your support for extending seasons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Update- There may be (hopefully) changes to wolf seasons with the seasons being extended in nearly all units for 2020. That would mean you could wolf hunt during your spring bear hunt in almost any unit!
If you haven't done so, go to IDFG show your support for extending seasons.

Those changes would take effect for 2020-2021 season. Unless something miraculous happens it'll be doubtful they'll extend the current season while it's in full swing. For the most part that would kick in on July 1st when the wolf trapping/ hunting seasons reset. They want to get a handle on wolves they need to lengthen the trapping seasons. Bumping wolf tag numbers up but not lengthening the season isn't going to help much. There were only 5 people who took more than 10 wolves last year, hunting success rates on wolves are 0.4%. There's always a chance though!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JJBuck

FNG
The extended seasons were approved and are in effect immediately overlapping our up coming spring bear seasons! Wolf & Bear combo hunt this year!!:cool: