Planning Co Mule Deer Solo Archery

mrgreen

WKR
So, I'm planning my first western hunt. I'm looking at a solo Colorado Mule Deer backpack hunt. I won't rule out picking up any OTC tags for the same area, but I figured for first time and solo, deer would be more manageable. I've blocked out 2 and a half weeks in late August/September. Since I had this bright idea too late to put in for a tag, I figure I'll see what comes available as 'Leftover'.
My feeling is this will be a backcountry flyfishing trip, with my bow.

I've been backpacking for years, so I have dependable gear. I'm not looking for a grueling hike to a camping spot, I understand this may lower my chances to see deer, but I don't want to get ahead of my capabilities.

I've had no luck finding lists of past leftover units to study, any info would be appreciated.

I'm currently shopping for a newer truck, as mine has 200,000 miles and is getting tired. That's the only major hurdle.

I've read all the Easterner Goes West threads I could find and they were a lot of help, but all suggestions are welcome,

Thanks,
Steve

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
Thanks
I've been going through that site for the last few days.
There's a ton of info, but it's kind of like trying to sip from a firehose. I haven't found anything about previous year Leftover Tags. I think when I find that it should help narrow down what units are more likely to come available.

sipping from a firehose. That is a painful visual, but I can see what you mean! The application brochure also lists units that were under applied for last year, by putting an asterisk next to the hunt codes. That may also help you to see what historically had leftovers available. (that starts on page 19 here for deer http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf )

It sucks that you have to wait until August to buy leftovers. Makes planning pretty tough.

Thanks
I've been going through that site for the last few days.
There's a ton of info, but it's kind of like trying to sip from a firehose. I haven't found anything about previous year Leftover Tags. I think when I find that it should help narrow down what units are more likely to come available.

Look at the remaining balance in the top left on the draw recap pages. Those are the leftovers.

Another site member emailed me last year's list, but I seem to have lost it with my last phone...