Planning first Idaho bear hunt for spring 2023

collinjet

FNG
Hey all,

New member to the forum but have been lurking around for many years. I’m currently 24 and have hunted whitetail in Wisconsin since I was 12. I recently purchased my first truck after graduating college (Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road) so I’m looking to put her to use! I’d like to go on my first out of state hunt and the Idaho bear season looks very appealing! With that said, I’m looking for any and all the advice you can give but have a few specific questions as well.

1. OnX or gohunt? I’ve used OnX for Wisconsin for the past few years and it is okay but wondering people’s opinion on gohunt

2. Is it sketchy to be in Idaho’s grizzly country solo? I know that the danger increases being solo, however, I’ve done quite a few solo backpack trips and camp alone quite frequently

3. When is the best time of the season to be out? Being from WI, I’d hope to be able to come out for 2 weeks.

4. Is there a certain elevation that you don’t want to go above?

5. Are there any units to flat out avoid?

6. Any units you would recommend? I think my main goal is to see multiple bear on the trip, not necessarily to harvest one.

7. Are the discounted tags worth it? I’ve seen people say to go for the full priced tags and I’ve seen others swear by the cheaper tags.

I’m sure I will have more questions as time goes on but I figured I’d start here.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Don't want to be rude, but here is a thread with 27 pages with everything you could possibly ask.

OP
C

collinjet

FNG
Don't want to be rude, but here is a thread with 27 pages with everything you could possibly ask.
I don't find it rude at all. Thank you for the link!:)

gtriple

WKR
I'm not a bear expert, but I'll try to give you some decent info. I'm not much older than you too.

1. Try them both. I prefer GoHunt because I get it for free with the membership, but I also just prefer the online interface of GoHunt. I do think OnX probably is better offline. If you want GoHunt, consider signing up via Howl For Wildlife to also support that amazing platform. It's the same price either way.

2. Is it more risky to be there alone? Yes. But just be smart and cautious and you should be fine. Personally, I try to avoid grizz country just for the peace of mind.

3. Highly weather dependent. If you can be flexible, that is a big advantage.

4 - 7.... can't help with these. You gotta find the unit on your own. Are you baiting? Do you want to compete with master baiters (lol)? Spot and stalk? Use the published data to make an educated guess.