Planning for snow.

Pro953

WKR
If that point creep does not get me, I should draw a decent late season elk tag this year. My concern is this region will very likely be into some snow.

While I have hunted in below freezing temps, other than flurries I have not had to deal with snow. I do not live in a snow area as well, so it’s not part of my day to day.

Any tips on clothing (or anything for that matter) when hunting in snow?

I have puffy’s, neck gaiters and warm hats, warm gloves etc. Do I need a hard shell type jacket? I run lighter boots and short gaiters, so I figure some more insulated water proof boots and tall gaiters. Any other required layers?

Figured some folks just coming out of the late season hunts may have some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
snow comes in all different kinds. soft, fluffy, deep, hard etc..

if wet, will you be able to dry your clothes? take wool or something that wont freeze. putting on frozen pants that are like stove pipes is no fun. frozen boots are no fun to put on either. you can wrap them and put them in your bag with you.

your water might freeze if its cold- insulate it

a sock hat can get wet and drip all over your face.

yes to the hard shell.

think about your vehicle also. be prepared.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Are you backpack hunting ?

Generally yes. I usually run light with just my tarp tent. I have a insulated pad and decent zero
Degree down bag I use backpacking.

Contemplated getting a smaller hot tent setup but not sure I want to deal with the hassle. Still on the fence.

rayporter

WKR
take what you have the first time to learn you limits. cover or hang gear in case it snows so you can find it.
if cold consider taking your water inside your bag, otherwise insulate it and cover it. turn your water upside down. too.
sometimes if pays to heat water and put it in your bag for warmth.

your pad must be up to the job. if you are cold and dont know why, it is probably the pad and you need more insulation. take a hat to wear to bed.

if possible test your gear now. cause summer will be too late to find out if your sleep system it good.

Poser

WKR
A big problem in late season snow if your footwear. It’s not a bad idea to have pack boots on reserve in your truck, though they can be difficult to dry out. Hiking boots will get wet to some extent and freeze solid at night. Unless you are just plugging away hiking hard, your feet can get very, very cold in the morning -painfully cold. Some overboots/boot blankets aren’t a bad idea for long sits. A stove setup might almost be necessary to get your boots dry and pre warmed. You might consider some lightly insulated boots as well. I have yet to crack the code on this for late season as the sun can get extremely warm in the afternoon and be too hot for insulation but the mornings can just be painfully cold on your feet even when hiking. Down booties are also an option to consider for around camp and getting up to pee.

hikenhunt

WKR
Yes to the tall gaiters. Even if there is only an inch or two on the ground, you will be brushing up against vegetation with snow on it that's higher. A good waterpoof set will help keep your pants and boots dry.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks ever for the feedback. Have a feeling if I am success in the draw this will add a fun new learning curve for late season.

Not sure why it did not click earlier but it seems getting wet is more the concern than the actual cold (obviously wet = cold as well). Seems I should look into a slightly larger shelter and consider the stove. I like my Pro Trail but it’s a bit of a glorified bivy. I figure more space would help keep everything contained and hopefully in that case drier. I was kicking around the Seek Elous which you can add a stove jack. Hopefully that would add a bit more room and some heat without a huge weight penalty.

Try to strike that fine line between being ready but not buying all new gear and packing the kitchen sink.

Regarding vehicle prep. I run chains on occasion and keep tow straps and a battery bank in the truck in case of starting issues. Any other items on your must have list for heading into the snow? Lots of info online but so much is related to day to day and not getting off the road or in the hills where some self recovery may be required.

Thanks again.

rayporter

WKR
the boot blankets do work if you can packem. and for sure have back up foot wear at the truck.
in fact i have a spare sleeping bag at the truck, well trailer in my case, but if you need to make a trip to the truck and get stuck you dont have to pack your bag.

dont be afraid to wear the boot blankets a lot. like around camp as over shoes.

shovel- i had to dig out with hub caps once, fun.

test it all.

Poser

WKR
Thanks ever for the feedback. Have a feeling if I am success in the draw this will add a fun new learning curve for late season.

Not sure why it did not click earlier but it seems getting wet is more the concern than the actual cold (obviously wet = cold as well). Seems I should look into a slightly larger shelter and consider the stove. I like my Pro Trail but it’s a bit of a glorified bivy. I figure more space would help keep everything contained and hopefully in that case drier. I was kicking around the Seek Elous which you can add a stove jack. Hopefully that would add a bit more room and some heat without a huge weight penalty.

Try to strike that fine line between being ready but not buying all new gear and packing the kitchen sink.

Regarding vehicle prep. I run chains on occasion and keep tow straps and a battery bank in the truck in case of starting issues. Any other items on your must have list for heading into the snow? Lots of info online but so much is related to day to day and not getting off the road or in the hills where some self recovery may be required.

Thanks again.

Bag of sand or 2 in the truck for traction weight or friction under the tires.