Planning Moose Hunt

mkelley12

FNG
I am looking to start planning my first Yukon or Alaska Moose Hunt. The plan right now is to get some points in hopes to pull a good unit in 4-5 years. I am wondering if Alaska or the Yukon would be better and if i really need points. I want to do a DIY so planning will take some time. I am not looking for a trophy bull or anything i will be happy with anything and an area with good harvest odds.

Also any tips on planning would be a great help. I have never planned anything like this and i am looking for a great experience for me and 2-3 others.

Thanks

Russp17

WKR
Alaska doesn't have points just random draw and most areas are over the counter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray

WKR
DIY in AK means...you have your own river jet boat, or super cub on bush wheels, or larger than typical off road vehicle. If you don't have those then you will be using a service of some kind to get to where you want to hunt and then get out. Depending on the type of service they might have restrictions on where they can go and a wide variety of other issues that would effect your plans.

Do you want to float hunt, lake shore hunt, river boat cruise hunt, or be dropped off in the brush dry land hunt?

Establish a budget first, then research an area that falls into your budget.

VernAK

WKR
The better transport providers are not usually looking for new clients as they are booked far in advance. Openings are scarce.

Many areas require a minimum of 50" for non-res hunters.

For a first Alaska Hunt, caribou may be a better option.

mcseal2

WKR
When I booked with a transporter that would select a pre-scouted area for our hunt, but was unguided the earliest hunt was 3yrs out. They also preferred not to put more than 2 people in a camp to increase opportunity.

carter33

WKR
Their are air taxis that do not scout and will drop you in a location of your choice, landing site dependent of course. Many pilots/ air services have regular drop off points and can give you a list of options or can drop you in a new location if you have the desire/knowledge. If you are flexible on dates you can find openings about as far out as half a year but it is safer to book about a full year in advance from my limited experience. In my opinion this is still a DIY hunt. You plan everything and are responsible for what equipment to bring as well as how to hunt. The pilot simply drops you off and picks you up.

I would agree that a caribou hunt is an easier first alaskan hunt but you can always plan a multi species hunt in an area where the herd is migrating through in september and increase your odds of getting some meat while focusing on moose.