Planning my 2021 Stone Sheep Hunt

At 67 years old I'm planning this years Stone Sheep Hunt. After decades of hunting with my horses ,flying in and or back packing for sheep the feeling of excitement is hitting me. It's a special rush that only sheep hunters comprehend. After all who wouldn't love hiking countless numerous miles thru the remotest areas of spectacular vista along with treacherous terrain, Naming the blisters on your feet, Burning well north of 5000 calories a day while eating less than 2000, horses heading back to the trail head with you cursing them all the way as you give chase on foot . Lets not forget suspect river crossings, Weather that's spectacular till the stone sheep shows up on the ridge and out of nowhere fog rolls in. New swear words along with the old proven that roll from your lips. Well I should also mention the wet feet, damp sleeping bag and the oatmeal that your ready to toss in the fire but cant cause you have to eat:):):) . The countless hours Glassing glassing and more glassing suddenly that all goes by the wayside. . You've spotted a band of rams or that solo monarch in the basin perhaps that monster stone traversing the ridge and the weather gods are showing some pity on you. Everything thats transpired up to this point in the hunt has evaporated its just you and that sheep. You're razor focused no mater if the shot is 10 yards or 450 yards it all comes down to this special moment nothing else matters, you slowly exhale, you take the shot and a ram of a lifetime is down. The joy you feel erases the challenges you faced and the addiction that sheep hunters have has been satisfied but alas only for several months till the cycle starts over again.

Some of my rams

stone

Attachments

• 0 (1).JPG
    0 (1).JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 0 (3).JPG
    0 (3).JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 0 (6).JPG
    0 (6).JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 129
  • george pics 528.JPG
    george pics 528.JPG
    568 KB · Views: 126
  • 13 year old stone.JPG
    13 year old stone.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 123
  • george pics 587.jpg
    george pics 587.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 121
  • george pics 1226.JPG
    george pics 1226.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Nice rams! I’m planning my first sheep hunt this coming year. Spending hours staring at maps, tough to decide where to go. It’ll be a hike in off the Highway assuming no leh. Can’t wait.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Beauty rams you have!! Sounds like you have been on many epic adventures. My Dad is my sheep hunting partner and he'll turn 69 on sheep opener this year (Aug.25 in AB). We started hunting sheep when he was 61. We only do backpack hunts, so he works outs months ahead in order to keep up with me :)

Good luck this year!

Great sheep, super post! Good luck in '21, we aren't getting any younger, and I am a year older than you! Still nice to have the desire even if the legs aren't quite as strong and we go a bit slower.

OP
stoneramhunter
Great sheep, super post! Good luck in '21, we aren't getting any younger, and I am a year older than you! Still nice to have the desire even if the legs aren't quite as strong and we go a bit slower.
LOL so true. My son helps me out a bit on my hunts which I'm not going to complain about:) He doesnt want me hunting solo for sheep any more and I help him find a ram. He's only 30 so he has at least 30 years to go:)

Attachments

• IMG-20180812-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20180812-WA0011.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 48

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Why dont you go look for some big horns this year or have you in the past.
I could suggest a few spots if of any interest to you.

At 67 years old I'm planning this years Stone Sheep Hunt. After decades of hunting with my horses ,flying in and or back packing for sheep the feeling of excitement is hitting me. It's a special rush that only sheep hunters comprehend. After all who wouldn't love hiking countless numerous miles thru the remotest areas of spectacular vista along with treacherous terrain, Naming the blisters on your feet, Burning well north of 5000 calories a day while eating less than 2000, horses heading back to the trail head with you cursing them all the way as you give chase on foot . Lets not forget suspect river crossings, Weather that's spectacular till the stone sheep shows up on the ridge and out of nowhere fog rolls in. New swear words along with the old proven that roll from your lips. Well I should also mention the wet feet, damp sleeping bag and the oatmeal that your ready to toss in the fire but cant cause you have to eat:):):) . The countless hours Glassing glassing and more glassing suddenly that all goes by the wayside. . You've spotted a band of rams or that solo monarch in the basin perhaps that monster stone traversing the ridge and the weather gods are showing some pity on you. Everything thats transpired up to this point in the hunt has evaporated its just you and that sheep. You're razor focused no mater if the shot is 10 yards or 450 yards it all comes down to this special moment nothing else matters, you slowly exhale, you take the shot and a ram of a lifetime is down. The joy you feel erases the challenges you faced and the addiction that sheep hunters have has been satisfied but alas only for several months till the cycle starts over again.

Some of my rams

stone
Some real beauties there! You only have about 5 years on me but a lot more experience in the mountains. I'm heading out to try to get Stone #3 in August - 2-week solo hunt.

FNG
Great post. I have been getting ready since the last season ended. Can hardly wait.

Great post. Thanks. At 64 I take my 1st sheep hunt in 93 days. I’ve been dreaming of it since I was 5, literally, but let life get in the way for most of my lifetime. I’m beyond excited to join the “sheep hunter” ranks.