Planning My First Elk Hunt

ridgefire

WKR
Imo, being strong mentally is as important as being in shape physically or possibly even more important. Be prepared for long grueling days of hiking with limited sleep in potentially bad weather. I would also recommend more days of hunting if possible, six days will go by in a blink of an eye. Costco carries a 165 quart cooler for about $100 that works great for elk. I would plan on being mobile unless you scout the area ahead of time and are confident you will be in elk. I would suggest going the last 2 weeks of Sept for an archery hunt in the back country of Idaho. Prepare to be hooked once you hear that first bugle, there is no better sound out there as far as im concerned. Best of luck.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
This has been a great thread. Heck!!! It’s a great site. I am starting to plan my first western elk hunt and have decided upon Colorado OTC for 2020.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
A few quick updates.

We've decided on an OTC hunt in Colorado, almost definitely a rifle hunt, and have added a third body to the mix. One of the biggest reasons for us to settle on Colorado is simply driving distance. I've read several times on Rokslide that a first time elk hunter should pick the closest place they can that has elk, pay their entry fee, and go hunt. Seems logical to me, and less time traveling means more time hunting.

I got my Crispi Summits this week and have had them on my feet for the last three days. I think I'm going to like these a lot. I initially thought the toe box seemed narrow, but wearing them around it seems like they're plenty wide at the "knuckle" of my toes before they narrow down. I don't feel like they're squeezing my foot or toes, and I've had no hot spots. Of course, I've been wearing them to work, not out in the mountains, so they have yet to actually be tested. Initial impressions and comfort are good though. They apparently look goofy, as pointed out to me by my wife, but hopefully that won't have any bearing on my hunting success.

I also received my EXO K3 3200 this week. Having been caught off guard without a bag of sand or anything to put in the pack, I loaded up my daughter to get it adjusted. She's 4 and weighs 31.6 pounds, which is incidentally about what I expect my daypack weight to be. Now I realize that 31.6 pounds is not significant weight, but the pack felt really good with her in it. Even when she got a little uneasy with me walking around and starting squirming and grabbing my head to hold on, I didn't feel the pack shifting or anything. I really like how narrow and streamlined this pack feels, and it's amazing how well it compresses down. I had read that, but thought it might be overstated and a bit of hype. I stand corrected, and see no issues with this pack size for dayhunts and occasional short weekend trips.

Might get to try the boots and pack out on a whitetail hunt this weekend, and am going to spend the next couple of weeks walking around the neighborhood with them to get my body used to carrying a pack again. I figure I can wake up half an hour early and have time to get a few miles in before work 3-4 times a week. After a couple of weeks, I'll increase distance, add stairs/hills, and mix in hikes in the mountains as well as heavy packs a few times a month. I'm also leaning toward joining the YMCA that's right next to where I work as a convenient place to get on a stair machine. I might even get in on some yoga - I don't bend and move like I used to.