Planning otc hunt in Oregon

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a trip to Oregon for otc Elk and Deer. I want to bring my family and the travel trailer so they can have some fun as well. We will be driving up from California and stayin in a campsite or dispersed somewhere. Anyone have any recommendations or tips? Kids are 4 and 5 so I want to make sure we are having fun with them as well. I have been looking at different units on go hunt. Thinking it will be a fun week or so.

OP
J

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, we have no hard plans yet but I was looking at the south west areas.

Extrapale

WKR
All deer on the East side is a draw tag now.

Archery elk is OTC for 1 more year. Blacktail is OTC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Feel free to pm with questions, if you’re thinking southwest the only good numbers of elk are on the coast side like tioga, sixes and Chetco and are very sparse in units like evans creek and apple gate, but you see them once in a blue moon.

Emanon

FNG
I am looking at the same thing. I have family up in Linn County and want to come up and hunt Elk this year. I will be reading intently!

Cyunk2

FNG
Feel free to pm with questions, if you’re thinking southwest the only good numbers of elk are on the coast side like tioga, sixes and Chetco and are very sparse in units like evans creek and apple gate, but you see them once in a blue moon.
My girlfriend drew Tioga Unit No. 1. Hunt will be the 3rd week in November. It will be her first elk hunt, we hoping for any advice. She will be tagging along on my archery elk hunt in September in Eastern OR, but she wanted an opportunity to hunt with a rifle so we applied for a tag I was positive she could draw. We are expecting it to be a tough hunt, so anything helps. Thank you.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Highest elk numbers are on Weyerhaeuser from what I’ve seen, permits are already sold out FYI. I’ve found them in the Elliot national Forrest, but they will surely be nearly impossible to find once they get pressured. Don’t know much about the south end of the unit.

Cyunk2

FNG
I see that there is non-motorized permits available in the Weyerhaeuser, I do have horses and access to a mule. Thanks for the reply.

541hunter

WKR
Tioga is not a great first experience for elk hunting. During the rifle seasons it is the definition of combat hunting. Please be sure to wear blaze orange. People will shoot at anything that moves and will even try to track and finish off your wounded elk so they can claim it.

Cyunk2

FNG
541, I've experienced the orange army in Idaho, it can get scary. Maybe I'll just have to break it to her that this isn't the best idea this season and accept that she missed a year of preference points, do you have any suggestions for units that we should be considering in the future that we can draw with low points and have a better experience in Oregon.

541hunter

WKR
541, I've experienced the orange army in Idaho, it can get scary. Maybe I'll just have to break it to her that this isn't the best idea this season and accept that she missed a year of preference points, do you have any suggestions for units that we should be considering in the future that we can draw with low points and have a better experience in Oregon.

Tioga just gets hit really hard. Take her out but just be thinking a few steps ahead like not walking into a bottom of a clear cut (especially if not wearing orange). I grew up in the area and probably have a jaded view. There are a lot of elk in the unit. Be aware of property boundaries and whose land is open to hunting whose is not. Lots of road hunting. People driving from landing to landing to glass. If you have some landownership questions feel free to pm me.