Planning Second Dall Sheep Hunt

I'm planning my next Dall sheep hunt and looking for recommendations on outfitters.

My first sheep hunt in 16 was awesome. Outfitter was very customer service oriented, first guide quit, but second guide was a total pro. I swear he was a Jedi. Problem was ram quality. I shot the only legal ram we saw in 8 days of hunting 18+ hours a day after subtracting weather and hike in/out. During my hunt, a float plane flew in and landed on a glacier lake and spooked all the rams to the mountain peaks or out of my outfitters territory. I was happy with any legal ram for my first sheep, grateful to come home with my tag punched and very proud of my ram. Ram started to spook once inside 800yds, so it was a long shot, but I had practiced for it and had the equipment. My guide called the ranges as my ram moved and when he stopped just inside 600 yards it was a done deal. Connected on a 7 year old 35.5" that was full curl. Again, very proud and grateful.

For my next hunt, I would like to hunt dall again. Looking for an outfitter that consistently takes older rams, preferably in an area with little competition. Any guidance would be appreciated. I will rifle hunt. Not looking for horseback or helicopter. Tough terrain is fine as long as I'm not going to be consistently needing ropes and climbing gear.

WRO

WKR
Utlima Thule, artic red, Jonah's Alaskan adventures for a start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thank you for the recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. From what I have researched the Canadian outfitters seem to have exceptional ram quality. Have you hunted with Utlima Thule, artic red, Jonah's Alaskan adventures?

Is anyone aware of outfitters that like bowhunters in AK? I was at Sheep Show last year and several of the outfitters don't even do bowhunts.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Good thread here:

WRO

WKR
Thank you for the recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. From what I have researched the Canadian outfitters seem to have exceptional ram quality. Have you hunted with Utlima Thule, artic red, Jonah's Alaskan adventures?
Not yet, my buddy's have hunted with both utlima Thule and artic red and says nothing but good. Ultima Thule puts out great Rams, no helicopters. Jonah's I only know by reputation, which is very good. They're very remote.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hoggr

FNG
Classified Approved
Bonnet Plumme in the Yukon is a great outfitter as well. Hunted with them in August of this year and was impressed. Lots of equipment, great guides and lots of sheep.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters would be on my list. As others have said, Canada is the best option for mature rams. It's more expensive than Alaska but it definitely fits the bill for a guy who already has a representative trophy on the wall. Good luck!

OP
B
I appreciate the recommendations! I’m leaning towards Canada, but will start contacting these outfitters.

Big338

FNG
Bonnet plume outfitters in Yukon is Awesome! Killed 12 year old dall/fannin sheep , black bear, and wolf in 1 hunt.
killed 66” moose and grizzly on other hunt.
Going to try Lancasters in NWT for 2021 just to go somewhere different.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Bonnet plume outfitters in Yukon is Awesome! Killed 12 year old dall/fannin sheep , black bear, and wolf in 1 hunt.
killed 66” moose and grizzly on other hunt.
Going to try Lancasters in NWT for 2021 just to go somewhere different.

Thats awesome. I spoke with Chris at length during the DSC show. He was awesome, a straight shooter and a ton of knowledge. If my pocket book allows, he's where I'd like to chase Dall in 2022-ish.

OP
B
I appreciate everyone's input especially those I spoke with over the phone. I feel very confident with my decision to hunt with Luke. Now the training begins! I am 20 months out. Figured I would document the process of preparing in this thread both for advice and to hold myself accountable.

I'm planning to focus on building strength/power in my legs and core with moderate cardio work over the next year to build a base. I will shift to heavy cardio/moderate strength training in the last 8 months. I will incorporate carrying a pack in the last three months building up to 80 lbs a month out.

I'm in pretty good shape now, but have focused a little too much on upper body strength and definitely need to build up my legs and core. I would like to be comfortable packing my share of the sheep out.