Planning Sitka trip to Sitka AK on Baranof help

Looking for any advice, tips, links, etc from anyone familiar with the area. Planning my first out of state trip. Actually first trip for any hunting as I have only ever hunt white tail in NY. My hunting buddy is the one coordinating and has more experience with out of state but is also his first for Sitka. I have alot to read on the species but most seems related to hunting on kodiak. Im specifically looking for any tips on the Sitka area in this post as seems i can find lots of general info on Sitka deer hunting but not much that pertains to that area. This will be a dyi trip during 3rd week of August. Im hopeful to be able to bow hunt and my budy will be bringing his rifle. Im not opposed to bringing on too but currently don't own one as I live in a shotgun only area, plus prefer the bow. Im also not as concerned as successful havest and this more about the adventure for me. Also im a bit concerned about bears as the reading I have done shows the area is infested. Is having a bear protection weapon needed? My friends rifle is a 6.5 prc which I guess is better than nothing but qould be small imo. Thanks all

I would recommend reading through the ADF&G website about Sitka deer, brown bears, and weapon caliber choice. They have plenty of information to answer a lot of your basic questions. Once you pick over the website, try to contact the local biologist in Sitka to ask more specific questions about hunting out of there on Baranof Island. He will have more information than you'll probably gather from this forum and it's his job to answer questions so you'll get as accurate of information as possible. Another point about the bears: Just like you, they will be trying to go where the food is located at that time of year and most of it will be in the rivers in the form of salmon. You'll most likely be in the alpine where the deer are at. Will you have some encounters? Maybe, but that's part of the experience and what makes this place so wild and enjoyable to visit.

This is one of the few places in the world that bears can live without having to be concerned with being exterminated like much of the Lower 48. Rather than thinking of the area being "infested" think of it as being "inhabited" by them. (I'm also a bear hunter) Good luck on your research and on your hunt!

I almost made a trip to Sitka a while back since a friend lives there. We ended up not doing it. He doesn't seem to see many deer. It sounds like they occasionally take one off the beach.

Your friend's prc is plenty for a 150lb deer.

slvrslngr

WKR
Are you planning to hunt from the road system? If so, you're going to be competing with the locals as there's not that much alpine accessible from the road. If you're willing to do some more serious hiking, then that opens things up a little but to be honest, you'd be better off flying into a lake or bay away from town and going to alpine from there. As stated, the bears will be busy chasing salmon in the creek bottoms at that time of year. Whatever you decided to do, plan on being flexible, the weather can be beautiful and sunny or it can be raining 24/7 for weeks on end. And bring a fishing pole!

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
In August the deer will be up high. I would plan on hiring a boat transporter, cruising outside of town and hiking from the beach to the alpine. There are a number of companies in sitka that will drop you off and pick you up.There are no air transporters for hire in sitka that I know of. You would have to hire out of Juneau, Wrangell, ketchikan or a fellow from Port Alexander. Hunting from town is limited, but possible. There is only 14 miles of road, so limited access into the interior of the island. Bears will be milling around but mostly focused on salmon. My personal opinion is to hunt deer with something you would shoot a bear with, as a run in is possible. I also personally bring a 10 mm as well for the tent, thick brush, and when field dressing. Be bear aware, but don't let it stop you. Most could care less about you.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We did a fly-in kodiak hunt last year in late August and camped out on the island and had a blast. My two cents would be to fly in somewhere instead of doing the road system hunt. We flew with Willy Fulton from Kodiak Air Service and I'd highly recommend him. By Alaska standards for bush flights it's very affordable. I'll also be going back this year in late August with a bow myself. That whole island is a bow hunters paradise with the topography, vegetation and general stock-able terrain.

OP
B
I would recommend reading through the ADF&G website about Sitka deer, brown bears,
I have been reading there. But was missing Sitka area specifics but think calling biologist is great plan
Rather than thinking of the area being "infested" think of it as being "inhabited" by them. (I'm also a bear hunter) Good luck on your research and on your hunt!
Didn't mean "invested" as derogatory. It was meant as a having a very high population.

I dont think I have an irrational fear of bears and have lived, hiked, had run ins with them in Colorado and lake Tahoe area and even one locally setting trail cameras. However my trip to Denali/Kenai/kodiak showed me there are black bears and then there browns/grizzlies.

Thanks everyone else on tips and suggestions.

Just now noticed how outdated the original post was, but would be interesting to know how it turned out.

Last edited: