Plano sportsman's trunk

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody used the Plano sportsman's trunk? I'm considering buying the 108 qt to put some emergency supplies/accessories (jumper box, tire inflator, collapsible shovel, cargo tie-downs, etc.) in for my truck. I want a sturdy(ish) box that I can strap in the front of my bed, under the tonneau cover. I'd like it to be budget friendly; it doesn't need to lock. This particular trunk looks sturdy enough by the pics and videos I've seen, and has tie-down points on it. Any feedback would be great.

Brianmp01

WKR
I have 2 large and 1 small one I store my gear in, they are pretty sturdy and should be pretty much water tight. Homedepot has them pretty cheap.

Has anybody used the Plano sportsman's trunk? I'm considering buying the 108 qt to put some emergency supplies/accessories (jumper box, tire inflator, collapsible shovel, cargo tie-downs, etc.) in for my truck. I want a sturdy(ish) box that I can strap in the front of my bed, under the tonneau cover. I'd like it to be budget friendly; it doesn't need to lock. This particular trunk looks sturdy enough by the pics and videos I've seen, and has tie-down points on it. Any feedback would be great.

My brother has one and uses it for the same exact thing your talking about except he doesn’t have a cover on his bed. I’m pretty sure he’s had it over a year now. I’m thinking about taking the tool box out of my truck and doing the same thing so I can take it in and out if I need the extra bed space.

Brianmp01

WKR
They have 2 version one has a hinged lid and the other the lid comes all the way off.

nphunter

WKR
They are defiantly not heavy duty. I have several to keep my gear in and have broken several handles on them. I’m looking for something a little more durable myself. I have some of the Rubbermaid tubs that are much better but cost a lot more. They have much better locks and have lasted much better.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I have some of the Rubbermaid tubs that are much better but cost a lot more. They have much better locks and have lasted much better.

The only Rubbermaids I’m familiar with are the action packers, but I’m not aware of any good tie-down points on them. Are you talking about something else that might have good tie down points?

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I have two of the 108 QT size. I keep them in the garage in the off-season and use them to pack hunting gear in season. I never have them exposed to the weather really butt I don't think they're designed to be water or air tight. There aren't any seals on the lid. That being said, the lid is pretty deep and well-seated, so it will probably keep rain out under most conditions.

I think these are perfect for the price point. They even have wheels to make it easier to drag across the floor. They seem a little flimsy, but I've chuckled them around for three years now and no damage. They're also stackable by nesting the bottom into the lid below and have tie downs on all four sides.

Plano, if your reading this, I should get 5% of any sales from this sweet pitch I just made...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
The only Rubbermaids I’m familiar with are the action packers, but I’m not aware of any good tie-down points on them. Are you talking about something else that might have good tie down points?
Those are the ones. I just throw a strap over them. I don’t think the Plano boxes would work much better. If you tie them down very tight the tie down points will break off or deform the shape of the box making it hard to get the lid on. Mine deform just packing them full of gear, I have to twist them square to put the lid on.

They are not expensive and you can try them, I’m just not impressed at all with mine and am on the search. I’ve been looking at the large pelican cases or possible building myself a draw system between the wheel wells with a deck above them.

Voyageur

WKR
This thread discusses a similar topic.

rayporter

WKR
i bolted a Plano on my atv as a catch all and tool carrier. it has held up well. i have several action packers but they fit into a different category. and do different jobs.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Why not get a smaller Jobox that you can lock and will still fit under your cover?

Cost and weight primarily. I also don’t need it to be lockable - cover and tailgate will be locked, and there won’t be anything super expensive in it. Since it will be under the cover, it also doesn’t have to be super water tight.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
i bolted a Plano on my atv as a catch all and tool carrier. it has held up well. i have several action packers but they fit into a different category. and do different jobs.

That’s kind of ironic. Back in the 90s, we used action packers bolted to ATV racks.

Hondo

WKR
I bought 6 of the hinged Sportsman boxes with wheels when they had them on clearance at Sam's for $15. They are not heavy duty and the snap hinge comes apart easily if you are not careful when folding the top open open and closed. That being said they work well for what I use them for, quick loading kit boxes. I label and store them in a rack so I can quickly load, for example, an "Early Season Sitka EVII" box. I would not recommend them for your intended application.

The removable lid Sportsman Trunk are better IMO primarily due to the crappy hinge. Another advantage with the removable lid version is it makes it easier to scent-proof with weather stripping although I use dry-bags and giant zip-locks in my trunks for clothing. I don't think they are heavy-duty enough for your application either.

I think for your truck box use the sturdier tool storage boxes would be much better. I have some Dewalt, Husky and Contico bins that have held up for years of hauling gear in my utility trailer. I've picked them up at places like Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Walmart.

SonnyDay

WKR
As folks have said, the Plano bins are fine for light storage, but if you slam them around too much they will break. This is particularly true in the cold.

And yeah, the hinge/latch is poorly designed and will break if you aren't careful to remove the lid entirely before you put it back on and re-latch both sides.

FYI: I have successfully repaired a few of those broken latches by drilling holes in either side of the surrounding plastic and fitting in a 1/4" metal rod... see pic attached (you can also see my first attempt at Gorilla-glueing the broken plastic piece back in, which failed completely). Plano.jpg