Plans changed & would like to hunt elk this year

krojemann

WKR
Like many, I'm sure, this virus thing hitting during application season put a damper on our usual elk hunting plans and we didn't put in for our normal MT elk tag. Now that hopefully things are turning back to normal, we'd like to still make an elk hunt happen.

I know CO & ID are OTC, but the crowds in CO & wolves in ID don't appeal to us. I'd rather hunt on a cow tag somewhere than hunt CO.

I apologize in advance, but I'm not familiar with leftover tags & cow tags. For the past 5 years, our routine was pretty straightforward with hunting MT. So my question is, does anyone have any advice for potentially holding some kind of elk tag yet this year this late in the ballgame?

CO will be a last resort. But may even consider mulies or antelope before that. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Wyoming will have some cow tags available in the leftover drawing. They aren't typically your most sought after tags but some of them aren't bad. We won't know how many are left and for what areas until after the resident draw in June. You still have 3 days to apply for Wyoming deer/antelope. If you don't have any preference points, you won't have a lot of area options. Most tags that require zero points are that way for a reason.

I'm following... Having the same thoughts.. Usually elk hunt every year.. Allpied for MT mule deer, but didn't get drawn so now looking..

You can still apply for Montana B tags, Idaho elk, and Utah cow tags. I would think between one of those states you wouldn't have to hunt the dreaded elk in Colorado ;)

cgasner1

WKR
June 1 for cow applications in montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
Thanks so far. Looking for an archery hunt.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to change the topic, but wondering what is so bad about Colorado? I’m asking because I’ve never hunted Colorado OTC but plan on doing so this year. I do however have horses and have been looking at a few places in 81 that are anywhere from 7 to 14 miles from trail head. I was also thinking Idaho OTC but Colorado 81 is only about 3 hour drive from home.

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
Really nothing bad about CO other than just don't want to hike back 5 miles to find a small city of tents. I have hunted CO before though, so will still consider it.

Last edited:
Sorry to change the topic, but wondering what is so bad about Colorado? I’m asking because I’ve never hunted Colorado OTC but plan on doing so this year. I do however have horses and have been looking at a few places in 81 that are anywhere from 7 to 14 miles from trail head. I was also thinking Idaho OTC but Colorado 81 is only about 3 hour drive from home.

I've hunted Colorado otc a few times. Don't see many other hunters (off the road) and always have seen legal bulls. It's good that people think like the OP.

There is always Utah OTC (Any Bull any weapon) or Utah archery. There are a bunch of open units. Or you can Hunt a spike bull only in the LE units OTC. I don't know if they raised prices this year but previously Utah was the Lowest cost Bull tag in the US that I know of. OTC Tags available in July but sell out quick.

There is always Utah OTC (Any Bull any weapon) or Utah archery. There are a bunch of open units. Or you can Hunt a spike bull only in the LE units OTC. I don't know if they raised prices this year but previously Utah was the Lowest cost Bull tag in the US that I know of. OTC Tags available in July but sell out quick.
Never done it but the UT archery spike tag in the LE units sounds like a ton of fun. It's OTC.

Never done it but the UT archery spike tag in the LE units sounds like a ton of fun. It's OTC.

I have done the Any bull any weapon hunt but not the spike hunt. But I think the spike hunt is also (Any Weapon) and takes place in Early Oct. So while you could use a bow you would be better off with a rifle for the spike hunt.
The archery hunt I was talking about is for Elk and I believe it's for Bull or cow but the Archery season in Utah ends earlier than in most states. Utah has some exceptional LE units from what I've read so might be a great experience hunting in one of those units even if just for a spike.

Nickd160

FNG
CO is getting tougher now many units I used to hunt are now draw and first round has already passed. Might want to look at Montana

Laramie

WKR
Agreed- on one hunt you will likely see elk daily and the other you will struggle to see elk in several days.

Why not just hunt Colorado since it's close? Sure I think Montana or Wyoming would be better given that they limit nonresident tags but Idaho is a crazy free-for-all as well. Colorado has a few more elk and a few more people. I say pick a unit you like and just go for it without driving yourself crazy overanalyzing.