Plantar fasciitus

mcseal2

WKR
Anyone tried any insoles that help with this? I went to the doctor today and he told me I should not wear my cowboy boots every day, gave me some stretches to do, and told me to stay off my feet when possible.

Working on the ranch staying off my feet won’t isn’t an option. I am going to follow his other advice. I just wondered if I should put Lathrop & Sons or similar insoles in some work boots. Thanks.

ramses342

FNG
I was just about to ask this today too. I used to get it really bad during soccer season and had to stop playing. Yesterday hiking up to 1300 feet in snow I had it flair up again. When I was a toddler I was in special corrective shoes because my arches were so extreme, I have always wondered if makes me or susceptible to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
I battled it for a while a couple years ago. Using one of those ‘roller balls’ to roll your foot over helped me. Insoles can help and the correct footwear helped me out too. I had bought another type / brand of work boots and I think this may have been the root cause. Stay on top of this because it can last for months

TerryD

FNG
I dealt with PF for about 18 months and just using the inserts you can buy at the local Walmart for PF helped me a lot. Now I’ve been pain free for the past year. Just replace the inserts every 3 months or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfreidy

WKR
Following...had my first PF last year. Stretched and rolled it over several weeks. Not certain how to increase prevention. Amazing how it slowed me down!

Kilboars

WKR
I dealt with PF for almost 3 years and tried everything, expensive insoles, better shoes, roller balls etc. Then a Physical Therapist friend told me to get a Strassburg Sock and I was cured in about 3 weeks. I've only had it flare up once since then but I swear by them.

Buy the right size, wear as you sleep at night and then just slowly stretch that foot for a minute or two as soon as you step out of bed before take your first step. It may take a few nights to get through the whole night with it on but it's better than living with PF. I wore it for about 6 weeks even though the pains stopped after about 3 or 4 weeks.

I think decent insoles help. Which ones are right for a person differ from foot to foot. Green Superfeet are what I use. The best thing that helped me was just doing the simple stretches my doctor suggested before I go to bed and in the shower in the morning. The rollers or just rubbing on the edge of a coffee table helps stretch it out as well. Its amazing how debilitating it can be - it needs a sexier name to better match its impact!

So basically I'd say stretches are best course to recover, and the best course for prevention.

I bought the insoles at Walmart and they may help. I can’t say as mine comes and goes anyway. I have not had it bother me in a while. I have a frozen water bottle in the freezer to fill my foot over for next time so we will see if that helps.

Got my first bout of it this summer, after overdoing it on a pack workout. The temps were in the 100's so I did a fast 3 mi. ruck on my wife's treadmill indoors, at full incline.

The next day, my right heel hurt and has hurt more or less ever since. Prior to that, I was running 20+ miles/week.

I finally bought some PF insoles at Academy, and they have helped. Stretching helps a ton too. But PF is no fun at all. It's terrible in the mornings just trying to walk across the house. :(

You guys with PF, do you wear shoes around your house or do you spend your time inside barefoot? With PF you need to be barefoot as much as possible and stretch your calves and feet everyday. It will fix you. And absolutely do not wear flip flops.

LaHunter

WKR
Stretching exercises help a lot. I include this along with lower leg/foot strengthening in my regular training routine now for prevention

bat-cave

WKR
I had a pretty nasty case of PF flare up a few years back. I went to my podiatrist and he ordered me a set of custom orthotics and gave me a series of exercises to work on. Once I had my orthotics in my shoes each and every day for the next few years ... zero issues. I no longer require them, but do wear a pair of L&S customs for Elk season and would highly recommend them. I had to get a couple of different pairs of custom orthotics as some were a full footbed (boots and running shoes), but I had a 3/4 pair for hockey skates, dress shoes etc ...

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
You guys with PF, do you wear shoes around your house or do you spend your time inside barefoot? With PF you need to be barefoot as much as possible and stretch your calves and feet everyday. It will fix you. And absolutely do not wear flip flops.

My doctor told me this morning not to go barefoot at least now when it's already bothering me. I have always been in just socks around the house and he told me to wear Crocs or something similar to pad it until it goes away.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone for the replies. I stole the Lathrop and Sons insoles out of my hunting boots to put in my work boots until I get to town to check other options.

I had a bad PF problem come up about 2 years ago. I didn't do anything about it for about a year hoping it would heal on its own but it got worse. I ended up doing physical therapy weekly for about 3 months and using a roller ball. The therapist had me start using Superfeet insoles. I tried the green insoles but the arch was too high and i couldn't walk in them. Then i tried the blue Superfeet insoles which have a lower arch. I started using them in all my footwear and they have made a huge difference. They run around $50 a pair but it has been by far the best choice for me as i can still wear my old footwear. I tried the Wal-Mart insoles for PF but the PF came back so i went back to the blue Superfeet insoles. I have done numerous multi-day hikes since i started using the blue insoles and they have been great.

You shouldn't have any problem putting them inside a normal work boot or hiking boot but i have some cowboy boots that are a little too snug inside the footbed to fit the blue soles, so you might have to use more of a work boot or roper with a walking heel rather than a high-heeled packer or riding boot.

Tod osier

WKR
My doctor told me this morning not to go barefoot at least now when it's already bothering me. I have always been in just socks around the house and he told me to wear Crocs or something similar to pad it until it goes away.

yes, walking around barefoot is magic (bad magic) for causing a flare up for me. the only time I go barefoot is in the shower.

I put green superfeet insoles in all of my daily wear Ariats and they helped a lot. It took me a long time to get over it though, still flares now and then.

Also bought some high arch tennis shoes (Brooks Ghosts) that helped. I also wear Crocs a lot around the house.

That's what they told my wife too, and she had it much worse than me for nearly a year.

I go around barefoot too much. I am positive that doesn't help. It's a habit I need to break.

Mt Al

WKR
Had it very bad 8 - 10 years ago. Did the stretching, got orthotic insoles, cheap insoles which worked just as good. Haven't felt a thing in over seven years. I didn't get the Strasburg Sock but did very long term stretching that was similar - should have gotten the sock. Tough to describe but: my job required a lot of reading which I did at home. I'd lay on the couch and use the arm of the couch and pillows to push my foot into the "streched" position - which it would stay in for hours aside from bathroom breaks. Stretching like this - long term - made a huge difference in a very short amount of time.

You'll get past it!