Plastic bags for food

chindits

WKR
I keep #10 MH cans repackaged into ziplock serving size bags for a year or more in my fridge. When it’s time to go, I just grab the number of bags I need for the trip and the different meals I want. I don’t cook in the bags. I already bring a little pot for boiling water so i have no reason not to rehydrate and cook in the pot. I reuse the ziplock bags for the next set of meals. Truth be told, I don’t ever wash them unless I add bacon grease to the meals on winter trips for fat. I rarely ever wash the pot either besides heating up some water in it after the meal and having a weak soup from that. I’m pretty basic in the woods and don’t need to make a big production of making a meal I’ll eat in ten minutes or less.

*zap*

WKR
I wonder how a liter wide mouth insulated bottle would work for the meals? I put my lunch in one every day and there is room for a 750 calories meal......if it is cold you could keep water in the bottle to keep it liquid when not re-heating meals.

OXN939

WKR
I bet it's like a lot of things....in moderation, it probably isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

I've been involved in some research on this. The scientific concensus is that it's much worse than we even know yet.

Also, "BPA" stands for Bisphenol Alpha. There are also Bisphenols Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo... etc... which you will see in a few years being advertised as terrible for you.

The bottom line is, heating any kind of food or beverage in plastic releases a lot of pretty bad toxins. Just a heads up I wish I had known about sooner!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-013141_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-013141_Chrome.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 47

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
We carry the single serve oil packets too, and add them after rehydrating the meal.

Another option that is good in some meals is coconut oil if you’re looking for some variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where do you buy the single serve oil packets and do they come in coconut oil?

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. I use the freezer bags. I used to bring a reheating reflective foil pouch. Now I use an empty mtn house pouch with all extra material trimmed to put my freezer bag in to reheat
I just use the same mountain house package for each meal washed out with some water, but I like this idea also.

I made my own meal coozy from some leftover reflectix I had lying around. I repackage my meals more for space then weight.

And yes, freezer grade bags are a must

dtrkyman

WKR
How funky is that bag or mountain house bag getting in a few days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees91

WKR

Anyone try something like this for reheating? Silicone so no possible plastic toxins. Keep meals in ziplocks and empty them into this to reheat...one more thing to bring I guess...

Brendan

WKR

Anyone try something like this for reheating? Silicone so no possible plastic toxins. Keep meals in ziplocks and empty them into this to reheat...one more thing to bring I guess...

We have some of those at home, maybe I snag one and try it this year...

We put all our freeze drieds into ziploc freezer bags the night before heading out. They keep fine and the freezer bags are microwave safe so they do perfectly fine when you dump the boiling water in them. Less hassle than dealing with the packaging the meals come in.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Just packaged up 6 days of meals, saved about 7oz of weight going with baggies, even counting the weight of the reheat. Not much, but it cost me about $1.25 in baggies. Easily the most cost efficient trade of dollars per ounces lost I have yet to find.

Can also rebag protein bars but its mainly a convenience thing with a baggie that completely burns instead of leaving some foil lining. Weight saving is just the 1 to 1.5oz in trash you dont have to haul out.

Also, for the plastic chemical concerns. I'm trying the peak refuel granola this trip, and I was blown away by how much fruit they include. They also only need cold water. So even if you dont like putting hot water in the baggies, there are options out there where you can repack if you want.

My daily food bags are down to 1.25-1.35lbs a day. Using a Heather's Choice or Peak Refuel breakfast, 2x protein bars, a snicker bar, a Heather's Choice packaroon, 2x drink mixes, a single serving portion of peak refuel dinner with 1/3cup of instant potatoes added for more filler. I have really liked using an EmergenC as a drink mix in the colder weather, helps keep my Vitamin regiment going and I feel like I dont get the snotty sniffles as much in colder weather.

Mark.c

FNG
I break down meals into Ziplock freezer bags to save weight and space. However I prepare the meal in a large metal cup with a lid. Not a fan of plastic and hot water.

Last edited:

shepaloop

FNG
I use Zip-lock brand freezer bags and a cozy thing from Arrowhead Equipment, for weight savings and pack space. works pretty well.

I’m definitely going to try this

shepaloop

FNG
Just packaged up 6 days of meals, saved about 7oz of weight going with baggies, even counting the weight of the reheat. Not much, but it cost me about $1.25 in baggies. Easily the most cost efficient trade of dollars per ounces lost I have yet to find.

Can also rebag protein bars but its mainly a convenience thing with a baggie that completely burns instead of leaving some foil lining. Weight saving is just the 1 to 1.5oz in trash you dont have to haul out.

Also, for the plastic chemical concerns. I'm trying the peak refuel granola this trip, and I was blown away by how much fruit they include. They also only need cold water. So even if you dont like putting hot water in the baggies, there are options out there where you can repack if you want.

My daily food bags are down to 1.25-1.35lbs a day. Using a Heather's Choice or Peak Refuel breakfast, 2x protein bars, a snicker bar, a Heather's Choice packaroon, 2x drink mixes, a single serving portion of peak refuel dinner with 1/3cup of instant potatoes added for more filler. I have really liked using an EmergenC as a drink mix in the colder weather, helps keep my Vitamin regiment going and I feel like I dont get the snotty sniffles as much in colder weather.
I really like the emergen-C idea … I’ve definitely gotten the sniffles and been pretty miserable

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
I really like the emergen-C idea … I’ve definitely gotten the sniffles and been pretty miserable

It may just be in my head, but I swear it works! Tastes pretty good as well!