Platoro area

Codyrayh

FNG
Hey everyone, first timer from Arkansas here planning a trip for September Archery. Not looking for anyone's spot but if anyone had any info about the area west and southwest of Platoro they would like to PM me or visit on the phone I would really appreciate it. Looking for info on terrain, water availability and any other info you would be ok with sharing. Planning on packing in with our own stock for 7-10 days. Thanks

It can be steep country with lots of water. Lots of people but not too hard to get away. Bring a fly rod for when you tag out.

OP
C

Codyrayh

FNG
Will do, thanks! Sounds like it will be a good area for my dad. I don't think he will be able to hang with me hunting the whole time so atleast he will be able to catch dinner and tend the stock

LandYacht

WKR
Have multiple places in mind because there are a lot of guys that have horses and big tents in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Codyrayh

FNG
Have multiple places in mind because there are a lot of guys that have horses and big tents in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do! We are going pretty light even with horses just for that reason. we want to be able to move camp quickly if need be. This will be new for both of us but you cant learn it not going! Thanks for the info!

swampokie

WKR
Lots of people. One main access road south of platoro and it sees a lot of traffic. Lots of outfitters and members of the Sitka army but if u crest the divide u mite find some solitude

I agree with the others, lots of people and rough terrain. That being said, we only ran into hunters at the trailheads, once we got into the timber and off the cattle trails we had solitude. Not sure if we were early or if it was pressure but the bulls were quiet most of the time.

bawana

FNG
Yep lots of people and rugged, elk didn't talk very much. We actually stayed in Jasper and hunted towards Platoro, so we were a little bit north and east of where you are headed for.

9Line

FNG
I can help out. Would be easier via the phone. PM me a number and we can square away a time to chat.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
You and your stock will need time to acclimate, be sure that you factor the extra time into your schedule. Water generally isn’t an issue. Plan for the trailhead to be packed. A few years ago there were 28 stock trailers at the Lower South Fork trailhead, but it varies year to year. Check you maps closely. I have walked up on a significant number of guys on horses who packed in miles only to end up close to another road or trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swampokie

WKR
You and your stock will need time to acclimate, be sure that you factor the extra time into your schedule. Water generally isn’t an issue. Plan for the trailhead to be packed. A few years ago there were 28 stock trailers at the Lower South Fork trailhead, but it varies year to year. Check you maps closely. I have walked up on a significant number of guys on horses who packed in miles only to end up close to another road or trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is very good advice