Please advise: Tripod and head for stable shooting platform

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
I'm looking to get a Tripod to use standing (mid-chest height is about 57 inches) and sitting (mid-chest height, sitting is about 39 inches) and a tripod head with the specific purpose of this being to make a stable shooting platform for target shooting various rifles out to about 300-400 yards. I am planning to get the Outdoorsmans Shooting Rest (the one with two V's to hold the rifle) and probably also their long range rear rifle support with a V for supporting the stock. Don't want to go with a clamp/saddle thing or with rails attached to the rifle. Lots of reasons but basically, please accept that I just don't want to use the clamp or direct-attach options.
Various rifles with everything from Browning X-bolt 270 Win to milsurp WW2 rifles, ARs, lever rifles. I am just sick and tired of struggling with benches and stools and bench rests that are at the wrong height for me, and which make me lean forward and turn my eyes all the way up and contort my body just to be able to get the rifle steady and then I am not steady because I can't hold myself in those positions, etc. Instead of getting me oriented and positioned to the rifle in the rest, I want to be able to sit or stand comfortably and get the rifle oriented and positioned to me.

Please help me with advice on a few things; money is not an issue -- i'm going to spend what it takes to get what I need:
1. I am looking for an American made robust tripod that would be tall enough for my mid-chest height. I like the Outdoorsmans tall tripod but would need to extend the center post to get the height I need. Does anyone make one that would be taller so I don't have to extend the center post? Really want American made.
2. I am trying to decide between the Outdoorsmans Fluid Head and the RRS BH-40 as the head on which to mount the Outdoorsmans shooting rest. Again, cost not an issue. Kind of leaning towards the BH-40, but would that mount to an Outdoorsmans tripod if I wind up going with one of their tripods? I know that a lot of people love the Anvil 30 and that's cool, but they are out of stock and I don't mind the cost of the BH-40. Also, having never actually touched either of them, I think I'd like the knob on the BH-40 more than the lever on the Anvil. That Outdoorsmans fluid head looks really nice, however.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Having read through dozens of Internet threads here and on other forums I have a sense of what I need but when it comes to actually placing the order, I get a little uncertain.

Please help me with advice on a few things; money is not an issue -- i'm going to spend what it takes to get what I need:
1. I am looking for an American made robust tripod that would be tall enough for my mid-chest height. I like the Outdoorsmans tall tripod but would need to extend the center post to get the height I need. Does anyone make one that would be taller so I don't have to extend the center post? Really want American made.
2. I am trying to decide between the Outdoorsmans Fluid Head and the RRS BH-40 as the head on which to mount the Outdoorsmans shooting rest. Again, cost not an issue. Kind of leaning towards the BH-40, but would that mount to an Outdoorsmans tripod if I wind up going with one of their tripods? I know that a lot of people love the Anvil 30 and that's cool, but they are out of stock and I don't mind the cost of the BH-40. Also, having never actually touched either of them, I think I'd like the knob on the BH-40 more than the lever on the Anvil. That Outdoorsmans fluid head looks really nice, however.
If your main goal is shooting stability don't buy a tripod with a center post. Just buy an RRS tripod and be done with it if money is no object. You can go with the RRS BH-40 head and one of their tripods and just be done with it. No wondering whether you could have bought better. Again, that's laboring under the assumption that money truly doesn't matter in this discussion.

Reactions: FLS
OP
V
Definitely willing to spend what I need to in order to get what I need for shooting. I go to the range often and after about 20 years of shooting I am just tired of struggling with shooting benches and stools and rests that are at the wrong height.

Does anyone know which of the RRS tripods would fit my needs? I got a little overwhelmed on their website. Also, I was leaning towards the Outdoorsmans tripods because I really want that rear rifle support and not sure that can attach to other manufacturer's tripods, but maybe it can?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Look at Really Right Stuff and ProMediaGear. Both US made. Both have tripods that will get as high as you want without extending a center column.

Beyond that, other questions are center column or no center column; minium hight desired; weight; packability?

Look at these 4 and pick the one that fits your needs best.

RSS Ascend-14L
RSS TVC-43
ProMediaGear TR343C
ProMediaGear TR424

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitely willing to spend what I need to in order to get what I need for shooting. I go to the range often and after about 20 years of shooting I am just tired of struggling with shooting benches and stools and rests that are at the wrong height.

Does anyone know which of the RRS tripods would fit my needs? I got a little overwhelmed on their website. Also, I was leaning towards the Outdoorsmans tripods because I really want that rear rifle support and not sure that can attach to other manufacturer's tripods, but maybe it can?

Needs as you describe so far (using at the range with a focus on stability) RSS TVC-43. Not low enough for shooting prone though.

OP
V
I have seen a number of people who say that using a bag in top of the tripod works for them for use as a shooting rest. I was hoping for something a little more stable, but I know it will not be as stable with the two-Vs rest as it would be to direct attach the rifle. Just hate the idea of attaching rails to 6 different rifles, some of which are beautiful walnut stocks, one of which is a milsurp with a stock known to be prone to cracking if locked into a rest, etc.

I don't know. Maybe I'm going for too complicated a solution to my bench, stool, rest problem. I just want the rifle to be really steady for 200-300 yard shots.

khuber84

WKR
I used to lock into my tripod and still do with low recoil/heavy prs guns. Lighter weight hunting stuff, the recoil rocks the tripod back and points your scope up above the impact. I now have a 6x8" carbon fiber plate with an arca plate that clamps into the tripod head. I throw my game hanger on it and shoot. Also have a lil 4x4 plate with incorpertaed git lite filled bag. The recoil impulse pushes straight back keeping your eyes closer on target. Leofoto tripods are a lot of bang for the buck, I own a few and they work excellent. I do use RRS leveling based and anvil mounts on them tho, they're the best.

OP
V
I now have a 6x8" carbon fiber plate with an arca plate that clamps into the tripod head. I throw my game hanger on it and shoot. Also have a lil 4x4 plate with incorpertaed git lite filled bag.
Where did you get the 6x8 plate with the Arca rail?

khuber84

WKR
Where did you get the 6x8 plate with the Arca rail?
Purchased an 8x8 3mm thick carbon fiber plate off Amazon, cut it to dimension, sanded smooth the edges, drilled 2 holes in center, bolted the arca plate with low profile screws through the top. Turned out slick. A few of us local prs guys all made em for comps. Throw your bag on top, then your binos on bag for finding targets. Can use the carbon plate as a small table for writing your dope cards and what not. Very easy to do.

Anyone have thoughts on the Outdoorsmans Rear Rifle Support that Outdoorsmans sells?
From my perspective…the tripod is too light/unstable and the rear rifle support is cumbersome to get into position, along with being difficult to make fine adjustments. Relatively few people use the Outdoorsmans shooting supports. Which I believe says a lot.

I’d recommend:
-RRS TFCT MK2 Tripod 34L w/Anvil-30 Head
-Abel Table
-Armageddon Gear Shmedium Mid-Size Game Changer

OP
V
I appreciate everyone's input.
So far, I am leaning this way:
RRS tripod, I need to call them and discuss. I want it tall enough and stable enough, do not care about weight since it is for range use, not going to carry into backcountry.
Probably the BH-40 ball head (RRS)
Probably go with the Outdoorsmans rifle rest (the thing with two V's) and I will try that without the rear rifle rest thing first. If not stable enough for me, could consider trying the rear rest thing or go with one of the clamp/grip things that various manufacturer's sell. (Can't use that with my milsurp rifle, stock prone to crack, but probably could use it for the Browning x-bolt).

I have a RRS TVC-34L MK2 with BH-55LR and I use RRS Cinch Elite to attach to my binos. I am 6'7" and can glass standing. Some of the best money I have spent on hunting gear. You cannot go wrong with Really Right Stuff products.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is a guide to how RSS names tripods.

So, for TVC-43 this means
T=tripod
V=vertex (no center column)
C=carbon fiber
4=series 4
3=3 leg sections

Series refers to leg diameter, the higher the series the more stable the tripod.

The fewer the number of leg sections, the more stable the tripod. But it will either have a longer packed length, or not go as high.

The Acend-14 (series 1, 4 leg sections) is sold by RSS for shooting. Part of this is because it is packable and light, in this context I only bring it up to reassure you that a series 3 or 4 will handle being shot off of. You don't care about weight or packability, so get a series 4 or series 3.

Hights are listed for each on their web page. Go to the Versa tripods. Select series 4, select 3 or 5 leg sections, scroll down.

TVC-43 max hight 63.6 inches
TVC-45 max hight 85.4 inches

You can then select Series 3, then the different leg options, scroll down and see if the hight works for you.

A series 3 will save a few hundred over a series 4, but the 4 will be more stable. The Versa series 4s are not in stock at the moment. The TVC-34L (L=long leg sections) is in stock though and fits what you want with a max hight of 68.4 inches. Its minimum hight is 4 inches, while you don't care about prone shooting, having the capability would be nice. Equally, I would get a tripod that goes a few inches taller than your mid chest hight just because you cannot add hight latter.

At the range, speed in adjusting set up is not very important, so a center column is not needed.

Anyway, thanks for the distraction, now to get back to studying aortic disections and acknowledging the fact that I have spent my toy money and should restrain myself from getting new ones for about a year. Talk about a problem for a gear head that is forced to spend way too much time in front of a computer at the moment.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I appreciate everyone's input.
So far, I am leaning this way:
RRS tripod, I need to call them and discuss. I want it tall enough and stable enough, do not care about weight since it is for range use, not going to carry into backcountry.
Probably the BH-40 ball head (RRS)
Probably go with the Outdoorsmans rifle rest (the thing with two V's) and I will try that without the rear rifle rest thing first. If not stable enough for me, could consider trying the rear rest thing or go with one of the clamp/grip things that various manufacturer's sell. (Can't use that with my milsurp rifle, stock prone to crack, but probably could use it for the Browning x-bolt).

Your going to cripple yourself by buying one of the most stable tripods you can and clamping your rifle on with a clamp or a v rest.

Rear support imo is a gimmick. It takes time to setup, too much of it, and it’s just not needed. Not realistic for a hunting scenario at all. The clamp I can say the same, takes too long to employ and isn’t as steady as a bag or directly clamped on.

Center columns on a tripod is okay, but using the em to gain height to shoot off is a huge mistake. Adds a lot of instability.

There’s a reason that you will see a lot of serious shooters shooting off bag or clamped in and none with a V rest setup with an awkward rear support.

tdot

WKR
For what you're asking for, I'd recommend RRS series 3 or higher. I'd also recommend jumping up to the BHS55 ball head. I suspect the BHS40 won't give you the stability you are after.

I would also recommend building or buying a platform to place a bag on top. A 12"+ bag will give the rifle a ton of stability and may not require a rear rest.

As for a separate rear rest, I'd suggest looking at something like a traditional set of standing height shooting sticks. With the Outdoorsman style support, any stress or energy you put into the tripod leg will affect the front of the rifle as well, combine that with carbon tubing not loving being side loaded and long setup times. I'd personally not use them.

If weight/Money isn't a concern, get a series 4 tripod and a leveling base. A leveling base is more stable than a ball head and if you're not shooting or glassing at angles greater than 15 degrees I don't see a down side.

Add a shooting platform/table of your choice to clamp into the leveling base and a game changer bag instead of a outdoorsman rest. Will be quicker, easier to get on target, and more stable.