Please advise: Tripod and head for stable shooting platform

FLS

WKR
This is what you want. You can shoot prone seated and standing. The anvil 30 head adjusts with a single lever. You can pan to engage multiple targets without coming off the gun, you can leave you tripod clamped to the gun and move if needed. Everything else is a half measure.

Your going to cripple yourself by buying one of the most stable tripods you can and clamping your rifle on with a clamp or a v rest.

Rear support imo is a gimmick. It takes time to setup, too much of it, and it’s just not needed. Not realistic for a hunting scenario at all. The clamp I can say the same, takes too long to employ and isn’t as steady as a bag or directly clamped on.

Center columns on a tripod is okay, but using the em to gain height to shoot off is a huge mistake. Adds a lot of instability.

There’s a reason that you will see a lot of serious shooters shooting off bag or clamped in and none with a V rest setup with an awkward rear support.
Agree. 100%

OP
V
Does this make sense for the tripod and head: RRS Versa Tripod TVC-34L MK2; and BH-55 ? Will that be ok for shooting rifles?
Probably going to be doing the shooting platform with game changer bag and/or one of the clamp devices. But does that tripod and head make sense? Not worried about weight or cost. Thanks again for everyone's great advice.

FLS

WKR
Get the anvil 30 head and put a section of ARCA rail in front of your mag well. You don’t need anything else if your shooting from the tripod.

For what you're planning, I think the TVC 34L MK2 is a good decision for the tripod. For shooting, I would lean towards a leveling base instead of the ball head. BUT, the BH-55 should be about as stable as you could get for a conventional ballhead.

^ This. Ballheads allow steeper up and down angles than a leveling base but are not as stable. If just shooting and not at steep up/down angles, a leveling base is the way to go. 34L is a good tripod option, 43 would be even more stable but cant go as tall.

OP
V
Ok, thanks.
Now, for that BH-55, where do I get baseplates to allow me to attach a platform for a bag, or if I want to put my spotting scope on there at the range, etc. RRS sold out. Can I get plates somewhere else that will work for the BH-55?

Ok, thanks.
Now, for that BH-55, where do I get baseplates to allow me to attach a platform for a bag, or if I want to put my spotting scope on there at the range, etc. RRS sold out. Can I get plates somewhere else that will work for the BH-55?
Lots of Arca plate adapters out there that will work, outdoorsman has one too. Most platforms i've seen come with an arca plate built in.

OP
V
Looks like the jaws on the BH-55 are a wider size than on the BH-40, for example. But on the RRS website they don't say what size is needed. How do I know what I would need for quick release plates for the BH-55, and where could I get them? Seems that most of the camera places only sell other brands which is fine, but they don't comment on compatibility with RRS BH-55?

I used to lock into my tripod and still do with low recoil/heavy prs guns. Lighter weight hunting stuff, the recoil rocks the tripod back and points your scope up above the impact. I now have a 6x8" carbon fiber plate with an arca plate that clamps into the tripod head. I throw my game hanger on it and shoot. Also have a lil 4x4 plate with incorpertaed git lite filled bag. The recoil impulse pushes straight back keeping your eyes closer on target. Leofoto tripods are a lot of bang for the buck, I own a few and they work excellent. I do use RRS leveling based and anvil mounts on them tho, they're the best.
What thickness carbon fiber plates did you purchase? Can you share a link?

khuber84

WKR
What thickness carbon fiber plates did you purchase? Can you share a link?
I used 3mm and it works fine, 4mm is a lil stiffer, my buddy used that. This is a 4mm sheet, cut it in half the 12" side and you'd have 2 6x8 sheets.

Covee

FNG
I strongly recommend RRS TVC-34L MK2 with BH-55LR... This should be perfect for what you're looking for. You can't go wrong with the right equipment.

I used 3mm and it works fine, 4mm is a lil stiffer, my buddy used that. This is a 4mm sheet, cut it in half the 12" side and you'd have 2 6x8 sheets.
What are the chances of you posting a picture of your plate setup?

khuber84

WKR
What are the chances of you posting a picture of your plate setup?
My big 6x8 plate is out on loan to a guy for a weekend match, however I have a smaller one for hunting, it's 4x6, you get the idea. It weighs 4oz as you see it. Throw a git lite pint-sized game changer and you're at 20oz. I also have a 5x5 pad/base combo that weighs 15oz, works great for glassing and shorter shots. But not as stable as the 4x6 plate with pint sized bag.
20210630_193223.jpg20210630_193230.jpg20210630_193137.jpg20210630_193613.jpg20210630_193609.jpg

My big 6x8 plate is out on loan to a guy for a weekend match, however I have a smaller one for hunting, it's 4x6, you get the idea. It weighs 4oz as you see it. Throw a git lite pint-sized game changer and you're at 20oz. I also have a 5x5 pad/base combo that weighs 15oz, works great for glassing and shorter shots. But not as stable as the 4x6 plate with pint sized bag.
View attachment 303398View attachment 303399View attachment 303400View attachment 303401View attachment 303402
Thanks for sharing the Amazon link and pictures.

What did you use to cut the plate down to size. Any issue with the edges fraying / splintering / chipping? What did you use to clean up the edges? Router?

I’m currently shooting off an Abel Table with a Pint Sized Game Changer (Git-Lite). My focus is hunting. Looking for a lighter option.

khuber84

WKR
Thanks for sharing the Amazon link and pictures.

What did you use to cut the plate down to size. Any issue with the edges fraying / splintering / chipping? What did you use to clean up the edges? Router?

I’m currently shooting off an Abel Table with a Pint Sized Game Changer (Git-Lite). My focus is hunting. Looking for a lighter option.
Bosch makes a carbon fiber blade for an oscillating saw. Mark lines with pen on masking tape, clamp carbon plate to 5/8" particle board to prevent chatter and cut away, using water as a lubricant helps. You can wet sand by hand or use a belt sander, 400 grit to smoothen edges, keep it very wet to prevent the dust from getting into the air(your lungs).

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to thank @khuber84 for sharing his CF plate in this thread. I made something similar and after giving it a quick test run can see the benefits versus clamping into an Anvil as far as speed and maneuverability (as in quick target acquisition not moving the tripod).

This hunting season I am going to leave it attached to my tripod for quick shots in a seated position with a Git-Lite filled Pint-sized Gamechanger. If I have more time I can clamp in or if prone is available use a bipod/pint-sized GC as a rear bag.

khuber84

WKR
I wanted to thank @khuber84 for sharing his CF plate in this thread. I made something similar and after giving it a quick test run can see the benefits versus clamping into an Anvil as far as speed and maneuverability (as in quick target acquisition not moving the tripod).

This hunting season I am going to leave it attached to my tripod for quick shots in a seated position with a Git-Lite filled Pint-sized Gamechanger. If I have more time I can clamp in or if prone is available use a bipod/pint-sized GC as a rear bag.
Glad I could help! I finally got some pics of my big plate, it's 9x7 fits a schmedium game changer perfectly, weigh 13oz. This is a new design with a longer arca rail to reduce flex, I can mount it in a arca clamp or direct thread to the stud on top of tripod or leveling/ball head.

Attachments

• 20210718_114442.jpg
    20210718_114442.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210718_114446.jpg
    20210718_114446.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 46

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I could help! I finally got some pics of my big plate, it's 9x7 fits a schmedium game changer perfectly, weigh 13oz. This is a new design with a longer arca rail to reduce flex, I can mount it in a arca clamp or direct thread to the stud on top of tripod or leveling/ball head.
Do you use that for competitions?

Curious how it would compare to for example an Able Table or similar tac table. Is it that little extra that fits the schmedium better?

khuber84

WKR
Do you use that for competitions?

Curious how it would compare to for example an Able Table or similar tac table. Is it that little extra that fits the schmedium better?
Yes it's in my pack for prs/field matches. I have never been around an able table so not too sure. I know I have about 50$ into it, much cheaper than the alternatives.