Please critique this article

Mmcan

WKR
Got into a discussion on another social media venue about this article, the picture posted in it, and the reason the “scientists” assigned to the death of a herd of reindeer. If you have the time, please read it and give me your thoughts. Just curious. I don’t want to bias you by writing what I think about it.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
They give no evidence of how climate change has anything to do with it. All they say is it rained a lot and the ground froze so the deer couldn't find food. They also don't offer any other possibilities such as disease. Clearly nothing but a poorly written global warming propaganda article.

ODB

WKR
Not much of an article. A few questions: since when do animals dying of starvation die all at the same time and location; those bodies look mighty healthy; no food, but there’s greenery all around - are we to believe this entire herd was walking on ice and then dropped dead?

I stubbed my toe yesterday - I think it had something to do with climate change.

"Reuters file photo for representation"

The picture is not of the reindeer discussed in the article. A quick search reveals the pictured reindeer died in 2016 from a lightning strike.

kiddogy

WKR
climate change is somthin else

last year we got a early ,fast freeze. there were some ducks out on the pond that got froze right in. I THOUGHT "I'm gonna get me an easy duck dinner .

but when I got close ,I'll be danged if them ducks didn't take off an take the whole durn pond with em!!!!!

Maybe some caribou starved, maybe they died from other causes. This article is driven by an agenda, not the facts.

Nature is wild, brutal, and beautiful.

BuzzH

WKR
Not enough evidence presented in that article to prove, or disprove, climate change on its own. Is it perhaps another example, in a laundry list of other examples, that our climate is changing? Maybe.

I don't think there is any doubt that the reindeer starved due to rain in December making it difficult for them to pound through ice to reach the tundra.

It doesn't take a doctorate degree in wildlife forensics to know and recognize when animals die of starvation.

K

Kootenay Hunter

First off, I didn't find that preachy...there are a lot worse out there that tend to pivot the whole article to CC. I wish they backed up the theory with more info...like it's never been recorded to rain in Svalbard in December, or every time it doesn't rain in Dec, this happens.

If it happened every year going forward, then yeah, maybe, but sounds like a weather anomaly, and perhaps due to changing climate and weather patterns. It's possible for it to rain in December in other parts of the world where caribou live, so....

Here in BC, a large rockslide has block the migration of salmon up the Fraser River. Nothing to do with climate change (well no wingnut articles yet), and could effectively cause a collapse of the runs without any human intervention. One of the world's largest salmon runs, wiped out.

Question is, if these researchers are so smart, why didn't they anticipate this complication and actually do something to assist these caribou?

Climate is changing, and there's not much we can do about it at this point, so we have to learn to anticipate and adapt. continuing to point the finger at climate change doesn't help...the question is, what do we do to adapt ...not fix....I think that boat has sailed.

The Institute has been tracking the herd for 40yrs.
Where were they when the herd all starved to death in The Same Place at The Same Time...HORSEHOCKEY!
I read the article about the lighting strike awhile back on the internet.
For what it's worth,thats a big lightning strike.
That is more believable than the whole herd starving. :cool:

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Y’all are all on the same page as I am.

The person who had posted it, and all the others that posted comments were so saddened by the human caused catastrophe and the malice of mankind and on and on until I couldn’t take it any more. They’re pissed now.

Oh well!👍

ODB

WKR
Y’all are all on the same page as I am.

The person who had posted it, and all the others that posted comments were so saddened by the human caused catastrophe and the malice of mankind and on and on until I couldn’t take it any more. They’re pissed now.

Oh well!👍

For the non-critical-thinker, an article like this is an epistemic truth, which is then proffered to others as indisputable fact. And you wonder why the world is as it is.