Please do a valid Review on Swarovski NL

This is a common feature on zeiss sf models and im pretty disappointed its apparent in the nl.
IME, the Zeiss SF is the finest example of purposeful image edge distortion. Just the right amount of softening to ensure the view remains comfortable throughout all aspects of viewing, especially while panning. They certainly wouldn‘t view this an an issue or problem that needs any fixing. Few would argue that the view is uncomfortable in any way.

Its not uncomfortable, it leaves the outside of my view useless when glassing off a tripod. I cant see animals in a distorted image that wont resolve. I end up moving my frame of sight more often because the outer 20% of a zeiss lens is blur. If i wanted a blurry view id look through some vortex vipers. I got rid of victory sfs for this reason. The view is very natural off hand but when absolutely steady i dont like it. To each his own. I will say i have excellent vision 20/10 to be exact. Any time the view isnt sharp i notice it and thereafter its all i can focus on.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
IME, the Zeiss SF is the finest example of purposeful image edge distortion. Just the right amount of softening to ensure the view remains comfortable throughout all aspects of viewing, especially while panning. They certainly wouldn‘t view this an an issue or problem that needs any fixing. Few would argue that the view is uncomfortable in any way.

Distortion and lack of acuity (softening) aren’t the same thing.

There is no particular advantage to edge softness, even while panning. Many designs incorporate distortion (pincushion distortion) to avoid the globe effect or “rolling ball” while panning.

Last edited:
You’re correct Matt. “Softening“ is a technically incorrect term and it is actually pincushion distortion to minimize globe effect. IME the 42mm SF has an amazing balance of detail, immersion, and overall ease of view. I’m personally fairly sensitive to globe effect and although I‘ve always admired the design, I could never get along with the ELs. As others have pointed out, the NLs have an odd effect going on at the edge of the image. Having had the NLs and SFs side-by-side, they are both spectacular but very different. I’d still describe the SF view as easier / more comfortable; and while NLs definitely take some getting used to, the detail is amazing.

Last edited:
I have Swaro 15 x 56 that I really like. and some meopta 12 by 50s that I got at Cabela’s several years ago. I’m not a binocular expert but I’m glad to hear others say they like the Meoptas also. Just my opinion but although the magnification is different, I feel the visual clarity is almost equal with both binoculars. The meoptas are a bit heavy for a 12 x 50 but I’m thinking that is probably due to the quality of the binocular. am considering looking at the NL pure 12x42 to shave a few oz’s. Still love the meoptas though

The only real downside to the Meopta is the weight. Great optics and built like a tank. When folks look through my MeoStar S2 Spotter, the most common response is “Wow!’

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
When I got my 15X56 Swaros I spent a long time comparing them to the Cabelas version of Meoptas and they were very, very close. I would have liked to have tried both in the field.

Bsc4621

FNG
Maybe go Prarie dog hunting. You spend a lot of time glassing. Eye fatigue is a real thing with lesser optics when you spend a lot of time glassing. There were several of us hunting. So I got to try several pair of Binoculars. I was using meopta 15x and Swarovski EL 12 x 50. There was a big difference. The swarovskis were brighter. Less eye fatigue. Better resolution. I also used Swarovski el range 10x. The 12x swaro gave the best picture. But ranging is everything when Prarie dog hunting. So the EL range were great as well.

BBob

WKR
When I got my 15X56 Swaros I spent a long time comparing them to the Cabelas version of Meoptas and they were very, very close. I would have liked to have tried both in the field.
In the field they are very very close. Different but I’d say both are about as effective as each other. Glassing side by side I’d say no one would have or has any advantage or disadvantage over using either. You’d have to jump out of that category into twins or BTX to really beat those two.