Please help a WY region H dilemma

Hey guys - looking for anyone with experience in Wyoming region H. Here’s my situation: I live in central Nebraska. Like most, my dad got me into hunting. He’s taken a bunch of absolute slammer whitetails in the last 4 decades of hunting. But never a Muley. Several opportunities on 3 year old bucks, but nothing mature. I started hunting the western half of Nebraska exclusively, along with a few other western states chasing Muley and antelope. I have taken my father with me on most of these hunts and he is now hooked on those styles of hunt. He is 61 years old and, for 61 with a heart attack at age 40, he’s in great shape. Not uncommon for us to do 10-13 miles in the Sandhills per day. He works out most days of the week.

Here’s the pickle, he will likely have the opportunity to draw region H for the 2020 season. However, he is late enough to the game that we are questioning his physical ability to hunt region H. One of the bigger hang ups is sleeping on the ground, simply put if he ain’t sleeping well - he ain’t hunting long. No doubt he can get all over a mountain but if we throw up a tent and sleep on the thermarest, he will be coming off the mountain after one night. In western Nebraska we day hunt and then sleep in his comfy camper :)

I have never laid eyes on region H. Is it possible to hunt maybe one of the more eastern units and get into deer? Obviously he is eager and willing to hike all day but is pretty clear on his need for something more than a pad to sleep on. What I see of the region on the interwebs is all really high country stuff. After well over 100 miles on foot over the last 3 years he has yet to shoot a Muley. Hate to have him pass this region to hunt something like region C because of easier terrain and closer to home. Anybody have any insight to help our decision?

OP
L
Thinking we’d get the archery stamp and go later in September for 3 days of archery and the roll into rifle in October to try and maximize opportunity.

BigDog00

WKR
My advice would be to get out there this summer and "scout" it with him, then decide where you want to hunt next year. There will be deer all over the region but the main draw to region H is the high country. Its obviously nothing like the sandhills. You could look into drop camps, horses, etc to make camp more comfortable.

LJ Buck

WKR
I would look at a pack service with large tipi and and a better sleeping arraignment. Those mountains are hard, water can be an issue and it is tough country. If you have never laid eyes on H then you need to before you make your mind up.

Jimss

WKR
G or H is beautiful country but rugged. A lot of guys tend to hunt the super steep and deep country and go right past a lot of deer. Once deer in G and H get spooked down from the alpine country during opening of rifle season a lot of guys tend to drive and hike right by deer in the lower country. Don't forget when you get a buck down you'll have to bone and pack them out!

With that said, you would likely have a lot more relaxing hunt if you hunt a sage-rimrock type country unit.

Bookhead

FNG
Day hunting region h is going to be tough. Ive guided in it. The problem is just because you see deer doesnt mean you can just walk over there and shoot them. Sometimes it takes a day to get where they are at from where you see them. And an average shot is 400 yards from my experience. So more then likely to get into shooting position on a deer or group of deer you are going to be staying the night at least one night and if your hiking in and out everyday your going to spend twice as much energy as sleeping on the mountain. Maybe look into other options like a hammock

BBB

FNG
Find a unit more suited for him unless he really just wants to hunt the Wyoming high country. Those mtns will hurt after one day of climbing. Unless you’re packed in...

Find a unit more suited for him unless he really just wants to hunt the Wyoming high country. Those mtns will hurt after one day of climbing. Unless you’re packed in...

I'd basically provide the same advice. Brutal mountains that a lot of guys can't hunt properly. And a ton of guys in the high country (horse or backpack hunters) compared to areas outside of Western Wyoming. Plan on a few guys on each ridge.

Get him an ExPed Downmat 9 to sleep on. Highest R value of any pad and you could sleep on a pile of rocks on that pad. Mine is nearly 10 years old with no failures. H isn’t as rugged as G.

Last edited:

Eagle

WKR
Thinking we’d get the archery stamp and go later in September for 3 days of archery and the roll into rifle in October to try and maximize opportunity.
Unless things have changed, which I haven't heard that they have, a good portion of H opens for rifle on Sept. 15th every year, archery is Sept 1st.