Please help explain Colorado sheep points

Ok so I'm looking at other states than just WA to start putting in for points for sheep and Colorado is one of them I'm looking at. I've been reading other posts here and the Colorado regs online. My understanding for 2013 is that there is a $10 non refundable habitat stamp fee plus a refundable if not drawn $1951 for a Rocky Mountain Big Horn along with a $3 non refundable processing fee.

In a nutshell I'm out $13 if I do not draw.

I understand that I can accumulate 1 preference point a year up to a max of 3 preference points for Rocky Mountain Big Horn. Once I have 3 points I will receive weighted preference and be put into another pool. The definition for weighted preference is as clear as mud for me. Does this basically mean that once you accumulate 3 preference points everyone then gets chucked into another pool and everyone with 3 points has the same chance at drawing or are you drawing different points in the weighted pool every year? Meaning does a person putting in for 4 years have the same odds as someone who has been putting in for 10?

I also see that preference points do not apply to desert bighorn sheep. Does this mean again that all nonresidents from day one have the exact same odds as any other non resident putting in for desert bighorn sheep.

Can I submit apps for Rocky Mountain Bighorn and Desert Bighorn in the same year or is it one or the other?

Thanks for your help everyone.

ckleeves

WKR
Ok so I'm looking at other states than just WA to start putting in for points for sheep and Colorado is one of them I'm looking at. I've been reading other posts here and the Colorado regs online. My understanding for 2013 is that there is a $10 non refundable habitat stamp fee plus a refundable if not drawn $1951 for a Rocky Mountain Big Horn along with a $3 non refundable processing fee.

In a nutshell I'm out $13 if I do not draw.

I understand that I can accumulate 1 preference point a year up to a max of 3 preference points for Rocky Mountain Big Horn. Once I have 3 points I will receive weighted preference and be put into another pool. The definition for weighted preference is as clear as mud for me. Does this basically mean that once you accumulate 3 preference points everyone then gets chucked into another pool and everyone with 3 points has the same chance at drawing or are you drawing different points in the weighted pool every year? Meaning does a person putting in for 4 years have the same odds as someone who has been putting in for 10?

I also see that preference points do not apply to desert bighorn sheep. Does this mean again that all nonresidents from day one have the exact same odds as any other non resident putting in for desert bighorn sheep.

Can I submit apps for Rocky Mountain Bighorn and Desert Bighorn in the same year or is it one or the other?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ok I'll write this straight out of the regs but basically more weighted points= better chance of drawing.

Weighted preference- increases your probability of drawing. It is calculated by converting your app number into a different, random app number, then dividing that new app number by the amount of weighted points you have, plus one. This generates another new app number. Apps are sorted by this new number from lowest to highest and low numbers for each hunt code are awarded licenses.

On desert sheep there are no points. Same chance for all non-res but I don't think you get a point for applying to use toward a rocky tag.

You can only apply for either rocky or desert.

OP
WonkyWapiti
Thanks for the replies guys. This makes things a little clearer but slightly. I read the regs and that part about the weighted preference. I'm still unclear as to whether once you accumulate your three preference points do you then start accumulating "weighted points" every year or does everyone basically have the same chance at that point. I'm confused by this wording of converting your app number into a random number then dividing that number, etc. Thanks for your patience.

In Washington State we just accumulate points every year and those points are squared and then put into the drawing that you apply for basically.

You need to have 3 preference points to get in the draw. Once you have 3, you will get a weighted point every year you do not draw.

year 1 = 1 pp
year 2 = 2 pp
year 3 = 3pp
year 4 = 3pp + 1 wp
year 5 = 3pp + 2 wp etc.

Like stated above, you have zero chance of drawing until year 4, when you will enter with 3 pp, and if you do not draw that year you will exit draw with 3pp and 1wp.

Weighted points give you a "better" chance of drawing as stated above. The system does not guarantee you a tag, but you "should" draw eventually. I drew a goat tag with 3pp and 8wp.

blb078

WKR
I was under the impression that CO was one of the worst states for a NR to try to get a sheep tag, it doesn't seem that bad based on the above. Also if you don't draw is the $13 all you're out or does it cost more for a point? And can you buy a point w/o putting in the draw?

dotman

WKR
I was under the impression that CO was one of the worst states for a NR to try to get a sheep tag, it doesn't seem that bad based on the above. Also if you don't draw is the $13 all you're out or does it cost more for a point? And can you buy a point w/o putting in the draw?

No buying points for any species in CO, you have to first apply and pay full price to get a point, you can apply for a point only but still have to front the entire cost. If you are not drawn then you get the full tag cost refunded but not that $3 charge or the habitat stamp.

Bin078, I'm tracking every non-resident rifle sheep unit in Colorado, and a few of the archery units. I have max points there (15 years into it), and the situation still does not look good even with max points.

Non-residents cannot apply for all of the units or hunts offered, and usually cannot apply for the best tags in the state. For rifle hunts there are 12 tags offered, of those, I feel there are 4 up to possibly 5 rifle hunts are worth applying for (quality sheep, good access and success above 65%). The draw odds on those hunts hovers around 0.7% to 1.2% with max points and around 0.1% (1 in 1000) for those just entering the draw (4 years of applying). The draw odds are actually appear to be WORSENING each year even at the max point level as more and more people are saturating the drawing, and so few are being drawn out.

There are also 2 and maybe 3 archery hunts worth considering. The draw odds with max points for the best unit is 1.7%.

So from an investment standpoint, it is one of the best to apply for, but you do have to front the full tag fee to apply. From a chance for a non-resident to draw and hunt a quality sheep, on a unit with good access and good success Colorado is one of the toughest.

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
I've been applying for sheep and goat in Colorado for close to 20 years and still have not drawn a tag. I started when it was $250 per species, way before they started the weighted points. I keep thinking that this is gonna be my year. It now costs close to $4000 up front to apply for both tags with less than 5% draw odds for the units I apply for. Odds are getting worse every year. If I wasn't in so deep I'd throw in the towel. Sorry for sounding so negative... but those are the facts.

On the flip side there is no hunt I'd rather be on than bowhunting sheep or goats in the Colorado high country... I can feel it, this is my year... Ed F

Tilzbow

WKR
Now I remember why I didn't start applying in CO years ago.... Someone, or a committee, with way too much time on their hands came up with that system!

Bin078, I'm tracking every non-resident rifle sheep unit in Colorado, and a few of the archery units. I have max points there (15 years into it), and the situation still does not look good even with max points.

Non-residents cannot apply for all of the units or hunts offered, and usually cannot apply for the best tags in the state. For rifle hunts there are 12 tags offered, of those, I feel there are 4 up to possibly 5 rifle hunts are worth applying for (quality sheep, good access and success above 65%). The draw odds on those hunts hovers around 0.7% to 1.2% with max points and around 0.1% (1 in 1000) for those just entering the draw (4 years of applying). The draw odds are actually appear to be WORSENING each year even at the max point level as more and more people are saturating the drawing, and so few are being drawn out.

There are also 2 and maybe 3 archery hunts worth considering. The draw odds with max points for the best unit is 1.7%.

So from an investment standpoint, it is one of the best to apply for, but you do have to front the full tag fee to apply. From a chance for a non-resident to draw and hunt a quality sheep, on a unit with good access and good success Colorado is one of the toughest.

Become a resident for a year an cash in those points.