Please help me choose a pack

Looking for a lightweight daypack on an external frame. I mostly day hunt from the road but spike camp a couple days at a time sometimes and would use the meat shelf to get camp gear in. I only do 1 western hunt a year. This will be my first year with a smoke pole so I will be using a quick release style gun holder (open to recommendations on this as well). I may also use trekking poles, this is my first hunt post heel fusion surgeries the last 2 years.

I do WAY more hunting than killing so Im not worried about how they handle more than 20#... Heck my tent , sleeping bag, and pad weigh less than 4#...

I'm 5'8" 150# athletic 30" waist.

All that being said I've narrowed it down to a few. SG Approach with Krux frame, Exo 1800, or SO Revolution with Merlin bag.

I like the bag layout on the Exo the best, but at about a half pound heavier than the other 2.

I did the back against wall and hand behind back thing per SG and my hand slides through some but not as freely as in their video so maybe I have somewhat of a straighter back?

Any recommendations based on my specs and needs? Thank you for your time.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for exo. You can even pick up the midsized version if you want to have the option of spiking out longer. The exo bags compress down really well.

I've heard good things about stone glacier but never personally used them

Like most people here, I took a guess as to what would work best for me just recently. I would have loved to test fit a frame from Kifaru, SG, Exo, Seek, etc., but obviously that's a tough one to work out. Luckily this forum is awesome, with tons of good info!

My Seek pack showed up earlier this week. Initial impressions are very good, comparing to the 6 year old Osprey I had previously (load lifters were useless on that guy). I went with the Seek for the frame setup and compression versatility. My primary use is mostly along the lines of day hikes/hunts, with some general backpacking.

I have strapped up various weights, topping out around 60 lbs so far for short walks around my property (longer hike coming up soon). I really like the feel of the floating hipbelt, without the lumbar pad, and with the harness in the captured/supported setup. For reference, I'm 5'11, 155 lbs, 32" waist, shorter torso.

Take a look at some of the adjustments the Seek frames offer - it's pretty neat if you don't mind tinkering a bit to figure out what works for you. It made me feel better about dropping big money on something I couldn't try out first.

kaborkian

FNG
Friend of mine recommended trek poles to me a couple of years ago. Best $30 I ever spent. Coming down steep stuff, they are extremely useful. On flat long walks not so much, but they aren’t in the way either. Doubles as a rifle shooting stick when you need.

cant say much on the pack question, other than I’m in the same boat shopping. Day hunts, with spotting scope and tripod usually. I’m leaning towards kifaru with their 22 mag bag. I don’t think 1800 is large enough, only a few extra ounces to get to a 2200-3200 size

Mystery Ranch Pop-up is worth a look. Very low profile with good suspension. I have the 28 and love it. It does the job when loaded with meat but def not the best. However, I'm like you, I spend about 95% of time walking with pack weighing 10-15 lbs and 5% with a heavy load. Your budget will dictate what pack you get. These are priced in the middle of the road. Good luck.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 with a lumbar pad. I chose this pack because of its weight, modularity, waterproof fabric, and price. I have had the pack for a year now and find it very comfortable. The pack can be adjusted many ways, and carry's weight very well. I am not sure how much I like the dual buckles on the belt, I am thinking of going to a single buckle with larger webbing. This would require a little retro fitting.

T Mathews

FNG
i have ran the k2 3500 and k3 4800 great packs but now i run the kuiu pro 3600 it is really comfortable folds down really small but expands to do a couple over nigh trips. i walk 3 miles 3 times a week with 40 pounds in it no problem really comfortable