Please help with gear for tall guy!

Hi guys new here and new to hunting. I am looking for some clothing and having a real hard time. I am 6'6" ~250lb
50" chest 37" sleeves and long torso.
I am somewhere between an XL Tall and XXL tall in tops and 38x35 in pants. Carharrt XLT tops fits me about right.
I will be hunting in Redwood Forests and Eastern Sierras of California.

I ordered a Badlands Ovis Merino shirt on amazon cause it was cheap.
Surprisingly it had decent sleeve length but the torso was like 4" too short and fit like a sausage casing.

Both KUIU and First Lite seem to have tall pants but not anything on top.
Sitka seems to have tall but only in some and not the ones I like.
Just at first glance, I like the First Lite stuff better and I like what I read of the company better but it really doesnt matter if it doesnt fit.

I see alot of people on this board have used these brands and I have seen alot of comparisons but not really from a tall perspective.
Any Idea which brand is going to be best for a tall guy? run the longest?

I really appreciate any help!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At least you have the short legs because with my 38" inseam good pants are a bear to find. I'm selling some Cabela's merino wool medium weight XL Tall top and L Tall bottoms in the classifieds.

OP
J
@5MilesBack Indeed. a standard long or tall usually fits me. 38" would be tough.
I saw your ad. Those are base layers right? I have some LL-bean merino lightweights that work great for skiing and camping.

Oscarhunt

FNG
I've had good luck with baselayers from IOMerino. The stuff I have from them has long tails and little elastane to stretch without coming untucked.

Oso

FNG
I wear medium tall. Sitka is the only brand I can find with tall camo options, and Eddie Bauer and LL Bean have general outdoor options.

OldGrayJB

WKR
MidwayUSA has tall sizes in their shirts. I have one of their quarter zip grid fleece shirts and It fits good.

I've heard the Firstlite stuff has a long torso but I haven't tried it for myself.

Arcteryx Leaf XXL is cut tall/long in the torso and sleeves, a buddy of mine who is about 6’4” 250 wears that as well as the military PCU stuff in XXLT. You can find the PCU stuff on Ebay for good prices.

Last edited:

Cody06

WKR
Speaking of tall sizes.. XLT stratus bibs are nonexistent. Anyone see them online anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oso

FNG
I wear medium tall. Sitka is the only brand I can find with tall camo options, and Eddie Bauer and LL Bean have general outdoor options.

I have always been a fan of Fjallraven pants for hiking and general outdoor use. I just gave their wool t shirt a shot. The torso is long -- actually seems longer than the talls I have from LL Bean.

OP
J
I took a chance on First lite, just ordered pants jacket and shirt so we'll see.

@OldGrayJB I have heard good things about the midway stuff.

@Sturgeon I have a ton of Columbia fishing clothes in tall that work out well. I didn't know they did camo!
If the First Lite stuff doesn't work I will definitely try Columbia!!

I use LL Bean for base layers. they have great tall options.

OP
J
Just to follow up for any other tall guys.
My First lite order came today. The XXL shirt was plenty long. A little looser than I would like but not bad. The jacket was spot on. The XLT pants were absolutely perfect for me. Looks like I am going to stick with First lite for now.
I am very impressed with the quality.
The Cipher pattern was darker than I expected but I think it will work reasonably well in most places I am likely to go.

I have a pile of Sitka stuff
6’7” with 36” inseams and 260lb currently
I wear 37T Sitka pants (timberline and Ascent)
It’s worth it to get those biggest sizes in tall as they fit way better. If you are after specifics just ask

Eddie Bauer ascent stuff is nice but the thread they use around the pockets is absolute garbage. Every pocket unstitched itself.