Please make it stop!!!!

njdoxie

WKR
I am new to the elk hunting game. The plan is to go out for the first time this year. Reading these posts could turn somebody off. We have no idea who is asking the question. For example. Is it a future politician who can benefit the elk hunter in the future? I do know. That all the locals are going to need us non-residents to fight with them to keep hunting and public lands open for all. How about we all just be respectful.
I know what you're saying, but I'd like to see how you feel in 2 or 3 years.....it's no issue when you're new to the forum but after a while, say 2-3 years, it gets really, really old.

mwebs

WKR
Maybe I worded my question wrong. It wasn’t to be read as “where are good spots to access to find elk” but rather “where could one feasibly access this wilderness area on foot”. Maybe that answer is the whole damn thing, but I don’t know that. I don’t want to get to an area to scout and run into terrain that is rough even on horseback. I’m sure it came across as “give me your gps coordinates for elk locations and your favorite tree to shit behind” but that wasn’t what I was going for, and that probably was an error on my behalf.
How did the guy that’s going to answer your question find his information? By opening an account on a forum and asking? I guess I just see it as another way guys are short cutting this and it’s irritating. Watch some YouTube videos, ask some random guys on a forum where to hunt and presto your there! And as proven by some responses people willingly dish out the information. They don’t care about “spots” and that’s fine. I do care about not running into guys bugling on every ridge, which becomes harder each season no matter where or how hard you hunt now that everyone has this attitude.

Not saying you are like the guys Im describing above, just explaining where my frustrations come from.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I get that. Never respond to requests on an open forum. Plus never give out your sweet spot. That is not what I’m saying. There are ways to help a newbie without giving locations. Is that hard to understand? For any new elk hunters reading this. It’s not acceptable to ask for such information.

Gila

WKR
Maybe I worded my question wrong. It wasn’t to be read as “where are good spots to access to find elk” but rather “where could one feasibly access this wilderness area on foot”. Maybe that answer is the whole damn thing, but I don’t know that. I don’t want to get to an area to scout and run into terrain that is rough even on horseback. I’m sure it came across as “give me your gps coordinates for elk locations and your favorite tree to shit behind” but that wasn’t what I was going for, and that probably was an error on my behalf.

With onx hunt all ya gotta do is enable the trail layer with steepness feature. And of course go with topo or hybrid.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Is this the right time to say I drew Idaho 30 November rifle elk and am looking for any first hand experience? :D

I was new to the game not that long ago. Making that leap into western hunting was one hell of a learning curve. You can read all you want and stare at OnX for months but there is only so much information you can gather. I too asked for any and all info on a general area of some general units. I was given some invaluable information from Jason Snyder and Jon Boy. It was nothing specific on particular drainages or anything like that. But it was solid information none the less. It was enough to get a new western elk hunter going. I know nobody wants to lose their honey hole and rightfully so. But even some info on water access, migration habits, trail conditions when weather hits, etc can be more than enough information for a guy who has never hunted the mountains before. Now that I have been out west a handful of years I don't mind paying it forward when I can. General information can go a long ways. Everyone could use a little guidance starting out.

I've drawn some pretty good tags in CO that made me get out of the box and see new ground. It's increddible what you see when you get into new areas. I have my dedicated elk spots so I have no issue sending guys to where I've seen a ton of elk on other tags. Elk just don't wind me up, they're tablefare, and I've had good luck arrowing them.

Don't ask me anything about big brookies, or deer because I WILL tell you a lie.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I recall the details, both of his kids grew up hunting and became hunters on their own, though one of them was killed in a car wreck at a fairly young age.
It wasn't Bobby Worthington was it? I know his son drowned in his early 20s.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
I've drawn some pretty good tags in CO that made me get out of the box and see new ground. It's increddible what you see when you get into new areas. I have my dedicated elk spots so I have no issue sending guys to where I've seen a ton of elk on other tags. Elk just don't wind me up, they're tablefare, and I've had good luck arrowing them.

Don't ask me anything about big brookies, or deer because I WILL tell you a lie.
If the elk were in your backyard how would you feel about it? How would you feel if you spent years and thousands of dollars in scouting and hunting time only to find some asshole has blasted your elk hunting all over the internet? Oh yea that's right you won't be hunting those areas again because you won't be drawing the tags. Who gives a rat's ass about some pellet fed, mushy brook trout plants.

It's 99.9% accurate, your buddy is in that 0.1%, it's very uncommon for a novice hunter to get an elk without going with an experienced hunter.

I have drawn 2 bull elk tags, one in AZ (rifle) and one in CO (muzzy). Went solo DIY and killed 2 bull elk. Neither was as hard as people make it out to be. Hunt hard and dont give up.

sndmn11

WKR
I think what a lot of new comers to the west don’t quite realize, is that even mentioning a unit...let alone best access points into that unit, is basically asking for a honey hole.

Yeah, it’s not X creek to Y mountain...but it’s really close.
Plus, as already mentioned, just asking about a particular unit creates hits for the hundreds of guys out there looking for the same info.

You can't be serious, are you? The largest elk herd in the world is still a secret om the internet? I think we have likely all had at least a few moments in our life where we needed a push start to get going. I think being a good sportsman entails a good bit of fostering the growth of others, and hoping for their success. I have never understood the attitude of believing that everyone else is out there to compete with you in something as wholesome as being outdoors.

TheGDog

WKR
My how soon you guys forget being a n00b yourselves.

At the very least you could saw something like "I'd just say don't waste your time in <name some smallish area that's inconsequential anyway, but they didn't know that >

Or you can say "I'd look around in <describe a fairly large area, maybe name a cluster of 2-4 mountains> and keep it vague. These dudes would be way thankful for even that info.

I know I was. And I went out and attacked it. between 2 and 4 outings every month all during the year. And I made it happen in 1yr and 13days from beginning the goal. And did so in thee lowest success rate zone in CA. I'd done no other hunting in my life. I was fortunate enough to have a few experienced hunters offer to have me come along in areas where the distance from my home would prevent me from going there lots on my own. Since I was willing to do multi-day stuff. And demonstrated the persistence. And had the trailcam pix to show I was making progress.

I'd much rather interact with some dude that's honestly asking it straight forward. I've interacted with dudes while actually in the field.... when I'm arriving at my vehicle... and you can tell their trying to be slick and non-chalantly fish for info, making like they themselves don't hunt yet and "were thinking about trying it". The one dude in particular I've now run into twice in D15. What he doesn't know is that I heard his behind driving down the road... stopping at small intervals during this rabbit opener, and beeping his trucks horn! Presumably to try to flush rabbits into running away as an attempt to spot their locations. This yahoo didn't know I'd heard him doing that. So you take that info.. and tie it in with his line of questioning and how he tried to fish for specifics stuff and it's like... sure dude... sure... you seriously think I don't got your number? Pssh.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
Before my first elk hunt, I asked for help on BS. That was over 20 years ago. Only one Colorado resident gentleman replied by PM. He suggested I choose several areas and he would tell me what he thought. I picked out several and he gave his opinion. One of them J. said for some one that had never done a backpack hunt would be too steep and rugged. Thank goodness I asked!! I would have never made it. The unit and area I settled on was an area J. hunted and he would be in the area when I was to make my trip. We were going to meet and share a meal. He left early and I arrived late. Oh well, one of my greatest regrets is that we never made it happen.

Carry on.

You can't be serious, are you? The largest elk herd in the world is still a secret om the internet? I think we have likely all had at least a few moments in our life where we needed a push start to get going. I think being a good sportsman entails a good bit of fostering the growth of others, and hoping for their success. I have never understood the attitude of believing that everyone else is out there to compete with you in something as wholesome as being outdoors.

Completely serious.
Earn it.

No one does the work for themselves anymore, just asking for handouts.
And, if you’re dumb enough to give a handout...expect a spot to get burned because people talk and are dishonest with their promises.

I’m a successful elk hunter because I earned everything I’ve ever set out to accomplish.
I taught myself everything, found all my spots myself and killed elk because I worked hard, not asking strangers on the internet for handouts.

Additionally, I’ve helped many guys and gals with gear and bow tuning.
Can’t tell you how many guys have asked me where to go...I always say I’m not going to show you spots, but send me all the spots you have picked out and ill give you my best thoughts.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Completely serious.
Earn it.

No one does the work for themselves anymore, just asking for handouts.
And, if you’re dumb enough to give a handout...expect a spot to get burned because people talk and are dishonest with their promises.

Additionally, I’ve helped many guys and gals with gear and bow tuning.
Can’t tell you how many guys have asked me where to go...I always say I’m not going to show you spots, but send me all the spots you have picked out and ill give you my best thoughts.

I was talking about how you soap-boxed a guy for posting the unit number 24. The largest elk herd in the world isn't a secret.

"Earn it"....since when was research not a part of that? What is wrong about discussing anything about a unit on a discussion forum? Seems like the point.

I was talking about how you soap-boxed a guy for posting the unit number 24. The largest elk herd in the world isn't a secret.

"Earn it"....since when was research not a part of that? What is wrong about discussing anything about a unit on a discussion forum? Seems like the point.

I guess your not grasping the topic of this thread...
Posting unit specific information, on this site isn’t earning anything.